Where can I find a list of service centers for XS Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This seems like it should be an easy thing, but I am not having much luck with it. I would like to standardize my regs on one model, and the the XS first stages look like a good deal, but I am having a hard time finding a list of places that service them. Can anyone point me in the direction of that information?

Thanks!

Note that not all XS Scuba dealers may be able or willing to service the regs.
XS has for the longest time been primarily an accessories/add on supplier for gear.
The Vortex 1st stage they have looks like a design from Ocean Divers Supply in Taiwan that makes the regs for several companies with changes to the exterior and if asked, will change some of the internals. This one is likely the same internals as the HOG D3.

The Inspire appears to be an unsealed diaphragm similar to the old unsealed HOG D1.
I did find a manual for the Inspire and it is indeed the same reg as the unsealed D1 internally. I also see a possible issue with a torque spec in it that could cause the reg to fail (turret fall off or come loose).

I can't find a manual for the Vortex. It may not be available yet.
Also note that not all dealers will have the reg or kits for it in stock.

If you went with HOG, Deep Six, DGX, or Dive Rite 1st stages that would not be an issue. You can just buy 1st stages from all of them and service will be easier to find.

It's not hard for a buyer to tell the OEM that they want certain cosmetic changes to look like it's a different reg.
I know I was offered what I thought was a low number I needed to buy to have my own UDM line of regs.

As an XS reg owner, I feel your pain. However, pretty much any dive shop can service their regs. The problem is, if they need to replace parts, they have to order directly from XS and it takes like forever.

The dealer list is a good starting point. Contact them and ask if they service the regs. You can also ask if they keep service kits in stock. If the answer is no, how long does it take to get them?

As an XS reg owner, I feel your pain. However, pretty much any dive shop can service their regs. The problem is, if they need to replace parts, they have to order directly from XS and it takes like forever.
While they can, it doesn't mean they will. If they don't have the service manual or have not been trained or authorized by xs in writing, they may not want to take on the liability.
I could service all of their regs seeing the design and being able to find the manual for the one. If I wasn't retired from doing service work. But, I'd have to go through another dealer to find parts. Then there's the issue of would xs back me if that reg developed a problem. The answer to that is no. I was not a dealer for them. Getting parts from a dealer would not be a problem if they had them.
But I already found an issue with one spec in the manual I was able to find.
And then there's the whole will the shop service regs not bought from them?
Many won't. They get all pissy about it.
I didn't care where people bought their regs that I could service and was authorized to. It was incoming revenue.
Then there's the issue I saw more times than I cared to of shops saying they could service a reg and screwing it up because they were not trained on it, didn't have the manual and specs, and even put in parts from other brands that failed prematurely because they weren't right.
Just because they should be able to service it, it doesn't mean you should let them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom