Where are your car keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought a new car with a key fob. Leaving it anyplace in the car will prevent doors from being locked. I think a small Faraway Cage may work to defeat it so I can just carry the mechanical key. I think I will try some lead sheet metal first.

I have yet to find a small, convient and reliable waterproof container. I have never maaged a Bonair trip where my money stayed dry all week. The small water proof box imploded at 90 feet.

Try tin foil instead of lead. Anything conductive will probably shield you well enough.

I don't do much shore diving, I take my spare key and leave my giant key ring hidden in my truck. Since I dive in a dry suit, the key fob stays dry. My SANTI suit has a nice little pocket in the suspender bib, and when I wear my Viking, I just tuck it into a pocket in my undies.

If I do a shore dive in a wetsuit now, I got to wherever I am in a giant jet, so it isn't a problem!

The looks I got when it rang while I was still knee-deep in water after the dive were priceless (and I got two hours of overtime, too!).

Many of us have a love/hate relationship when it comes to our phones and work, but the number of calls I've discretely on my boat in the middle of Georgian Bay or on a chairlift (assuming nobody else is on the chair) is significant. I take my slacking-off very seriously. ;-)

Having diving in mind, I paid extra 200$ for the keyless entry. To open or to lock the car I just have to touch the door handle in a certain place. Thus, I have the key in the dry suit undergarment pocket, sealed in a plastic bag for a case of flooding. I still have to think, what to do in an unlikely case of diving a wetsuit.

Having diving in mind, I paid extra 200$ for the keyless entry. To open or to lock the car I just have to touch the door handle in a certain place. Thus, I have the key in the dry suit undergarment pocket, sealed in a plastic bag for a case of flooding. I still have to think, what to do in an unlikely case of diving a wetsuit.
Man, there's so many tech. gizmos for cars and everything lately. Flooding, no good. Valet key, no good. Bury the damn chip key in sand or hide it when no New Yorkers are looking. Or risk buying a new chip key for like $100 plus.

Get an older dive truck my dodge dosnt have any of these fancy keys so I have a couple of spare keys that I keep in the truck just for diving I lock the alarm remote in the truck. The dive key just gets put on a bolt snap and snapped onto the bungee cord in one of my pockets. I also have an extra key so that if I am diving with a buddy I can give them one too.

That's like what I do with my 99 Dodge PU. I actually put the key on a cord around my neck with my extra whistle and then I have an extra one that my buddy and I stick somewhere on the truck. No fancy electronics for me. But mine is an older diesel so I don't worry so much about theft or getting broke into. Actually, our favorite dive sites are right across the Bay from the Coast Guard Tower and I am sure they watch the whole Bay (and Bar) for any problems. And this includes watching the Jetty for breakins/thefts - and we are sure the Girl Coasties are watching us handsome 60yr+ guys change and getting their cheap thrills !!! LOL :)

That's like what I do with my 99 Dodge PU. I actually put the key on a cord around my neck with my extra whistle and then I have an extra one that my buddy and I stick somewhere on the truck. No fancy electronics for me. But mine is an older diesel so I don't worry so much about theft or getting broke into. Actually, our favorite dive sites are right across the Bay from the Coast Guard Tower and I am sure they watch the whole Bay (and Bar) for any problems. And this includes watching the Jetty for breakins/thefts - and we are sure the Girl Coasties are watching us handsome 60yr+ guys change and getting their cheap thrills !!! LOL :)
yeah, that's like every dive in Nova Scotia. That's great if you feel "safe" with your keys. I'm a native of NYC and I don't like anything that's not DISCREETLY buried in the sand or brush, depending on it being in NS or NY--but that's what I still do after 10 yrs. of "chip" keys.

My car has passive keyless entry (key somewhere on person, touch door handle and the thing unlocks), so I had to think about it for a while. My solution? Combination lockbox. I remove the keyfob battery, put the battery and the key fob in the lockbox, put the shackle around the door handle and lock-it-up. I usually put a towel or some such over the lock box itself so as not to advertise too conspicuously that my car keys are right there. Seems to work OK.

My car has passive keyless entry (key somewhere on person, touch door handle and the thing unlocks), so I had to think about it for a while. My solution? Combination lockbox. I remove the keyfob battery, put the battery and the key fob in the lockbox, put the shackle around the door handle and lock-it-up. I usually put a towel or some such over the lock box itself so as not to advertise too conspicuously that my car keys are right there. Seems to work OK.
This seems an OK solution. But it may be easier to just get one of those old magnetic key boxes (if they still exist) and stick the key in there, then discreetly attach it to the wheel well or somewhere else. May be easier than a lock box or my own method of burying it in sand, etc. I used to put my spare key in there decades ago, but stopped that when one of the boxes fell off while driving. But you'd be diving, not driving.

This seems an OK solution. But it may be easier to just get one of those old magnetic key boxes (if they still exist) and stick the key in there, then discreetly attach it to the wheel well or somewhere else. May be easier than a lock box or my own method of burying it in sand, etc. I used to put my spare key in there decades ago, but stopped that when one of the boxes fell off while driving. But you'd be diving, not driving.

You may be right...hadn't even considered that as an option. I guess I'm mostly just paranoid about theft, so the combo lock makes me feel a little better. But if they made a magnetic combo key box.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom