Where are your car keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a key made from my electronic one. The copy isn't electronic, so it won't start the car, but it will open the doors. I keep that in my bc pocket at all times - when diving, I hide the real key inside the car, and use this copy to open it up when I get out of the water.

I did the same thing as saf_25. I went to the Mitsubishi dealer and had them burn a non_electronic key. It just opens the doors to my car. It is clipped on to the inside pocket of my B.C.
I also told my sister where it is just in case I do something stupid and lock myself out of the car somewhere. She can just go into my B.C hanging in my garage and come rescue me.

I have my non-electric key on a brass bolt snap w/brass split ring. It is the only key on that ring and while I am diving it gets clipped onto a D-ring. For those of you who have your car key on the same ring as all 82 of your other keys, this method also keeps the ignition on your car from wearing out quickly.

Being as forgetful as I am . . . I keep one in my save-a-dive kit, another tied to my wetsuit drawstring and a third I pull out the rear tail-light (which should be bolted down, but isn't) and tuck a spare key in there. Of course I got rid of that car, and I'll keep it a secret where it is on my other vehicle . . . lol. Then I put a container of water on the bumper to rinse the key off before using. I've also tried locking the keys in the trunk, and only carrying the trunk key (seperate key obviously).

Aloha, Tim

I have a second key looped around a piece of cave line and wear it as a necklace when I'm diving. Stays in my mask case on non diving days.

My wife and I each have a lanyard we wear between our vests and full suits. Dedicated keys that are always on the layard so we aren't poping things back and forth. Included both vans that we use for diving.

Gets pricey when 1 vehicle has 2 smart keys ($25 ea ouch) . However I learned that on Fords such as ours you need 2 good keys in order to program the van to accept any replacement. That made it a good idea to buy 2 extras before something happened to 1 of the 2 originals. Then we would have been bagged with a dealer programing fee.

We keep the lanyards in our dive bags and they come out with the antifog and dive watches, routine is everything.

Pete

I put my key ring on a locking karabiner and hook it to my BC.

I usually keep mine tucked into my BC pocket. I havn't locked it in the trunk yet and I'm not planning on starting.

Buccaneer:
I hide mine in front lower cowling behind a foglight
When are you diving Les Davis next? :wink:

I have the clicker to lock/unlock my car (Nissan Xterra), and I put it in the right hip pocket of my drysuit undergarment. I can poke the buttons through the drysuit to lock and unlock the car, so there's no need to get out of my gear before getting into the car. My kechain is locked in the car while I'm diving.

I already had to replace my clicker once, though... I'm not sure if it was just the wear and tear of daily life in my pocket or the pressure of diving with me that did it in, though. So far so good with my new clicker, though!

Who else has taken a cell phone with them diving? I was on call one weekend for work and couldn't be away from the phone, so I just put it in my undergarment pocket. The looks I got when it rang while I was still knee-deep in water after the dive were priceless (and I got two hours of overtime, too!).

Jimmie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom