Where are the SCALLOPS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think we might just have to hit a little deeper water. It should get better though. Any reports on how people were doing this past weekend?

I heard Brandon from Brandon Scuba Quest got his limit on the Homosassa river. IDK how far they went out or how long it took them though.

Well, I still havent heard anything about anyone getting a good haul of scallops. Here is what I have heard:
They just arent as many as last year, about 90% less. I have heard of divers limiting out in 2 hours but that is a LONG time to be underwater for a little bit of meat!
One diver checked several places from Bayport (where I am located) north to chasakowistka river. In shore and up to 15' deep and didnt find any significant quantitys.
Steinhatchee is supposed to have as many as Hernando county did last year but that is a LONG trip to the panhandle to get them. Hardly worth the trip IMO.

If you have any good news about the scallops, please post up! I have a boat and we can go take a look.

I've got to ask. How do you get the scallops? I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild. Do you just grab them with your hands?

I've got to ask. How do you get the scallops? I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild. Do you just grab them with your hands?

Yeah... at least, that's how you take sea scallops. Bay scallops might be different... I don't know.

Yes, you just pick them off the bottom. Sometimes they see you coming and try to swim away but they dont go far enough to get away.

Thanks for the tip "They are in New England". I could also get them at Publix too!

Thanks for the tip "They are in New England". I could also get them at Publix too!

I was just giving a little good natured ribbing, but it does make me wonder if there's been any significant change from usual conditions there otherwise. We're seeing water temps up here that are at least 5 degrees warmer than usual for the time of year. That's still within comfortable ranges for scallops here, but if you saw a similar increase in southern waters, it might just be too warm for them.

Just a thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom