where are the "Big Critters" in Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TEERLKAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are looking to do some diving in Indonesia around late May to early June.
My question is location: Where in Indonesia can we dive with the "big stuff" sharks, manta's, etc...
Any suggestions on good liveaboards (don't do luxury) would be appreciated also!

Admittedly, I’ve haven’t dived in many places in Indonesia, but of all the Indonesian locations where I’ve dived, Komodo was great for “big critters”, as well as “small critters.” We saw mantas, sharks, turtles and a few from my group (but unfortunately not I) saw a sunfish (Mola mola) at a site called Manta Alley (where we also observed a large number of mantas). Whales are also frequently sighted around Komodo and if you are very lucky, you might see a swimming Komodo dragon (this is a rare behaviour for the animal, apparently). We were diving from the liveaboard MY Aqua One and there are many liveaboard to choose from for diving around Komodo/Rinca/Sangeang.

http://www.komodonationalpark.org/

Komodo or Bunaken/Sulawesi. Superb landscape diving, assume critters, good pelagic action. Forget the mantas, it's not a Manta hangout in May/June but you never know....

Liveaboards: Komodo: Check out Kararu or Komodo Dancer. Check with them for last minute cancellations and specials. No matter who you dive with, be sure to dive with a reputable liveaboard that knows the area well. Bunaken/Sulawesi: Landbased in Sulawesi is a good option.

Hmm, forgot all about Bunaken/Siladen. I made some dives there (admittedly only three dives) for a day on my way to Lembeh. Beautiful (and very deep) wall dives. Didn’t see any pelagics apart from Dogtooth tunas. The larger animals were just the usual suspects (whitetip reef sharks, Napoleon wrasses, turtles).

IMO, the best information to be found on diving destination in Indonesia so far, would be in the books titled "Diving Indonesia" and "Diving Bali" - you can search them at Amazon.

I've read both books cover to cover and I've dived Bali to see the Mola-mola. "Diving Bali" book is much more detailed in dive site maps, than "Diving Indonesia" book. Both are highly recommended.

I've been diving with Kararu twice - great operation. Aside from some great manta encounters, the occasional shark, and the chance of seeing mola molas off of Bali, Indonesia's not much of a big fish kind of place. It's pretty much been fished out by the locals. Had some great manta action in Irian Jaya - but nothing compared to Revillagigedos. And if you want mola molas - So Cal (where I live) and a private boat in the summer is a lot closer. Go to Indonesia for the small critters - Komodo is incredible - Cannibal Rock is among the world's best dive sites. Besides Kararu, Ocean Rover is a great boat when it's in Indonesia.

Sawadee Vie,

I saw quite a number of black tip reef sharks, lots of black snapper, king mackeral, wahoo, eagle rays and even a manta when I was there. I'll be back there a week. I'll post here to let you know what it was like now.

Any idea on what kind of wet suit protection you need in the Komodo area? I've heard 5 mm but was wondering if 7 mm was too much for the southern past in August?

Deano2:
heard 5 mm but was wondering if 7 mm was too much for the southern past in August?

Hallo Deano2, leuk je te ontmoeten,

I had a 5mm hood and a 3mm shortie to wear on top of my 3mm suit for South Komodo, Rinca and Nusa Kode (where the water temperature was around 24°C in July)—to be honest, the 5mm hood was a little too warm on some dives. For Sumbawa, Gili Banta, North Komodo and Sangeang, just my 3mm suit (with a 0.5mm hodd) was enough. Most people in my group wore Rip Curl 5:4:3 mm suits for every location. I’m not sure whether it gets colder in August, but a 7mm might be too warm for some locations around Komodo.

I appreciate all the good information!

PKRUPELA- did you post a trip report on Revillagigedos? at some point I would like to make a trip there for what sounds like some great diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom