Where Are All These Deals I Read About?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveR1952

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have read many many posts on all the "deals" one can find on tanks. So far I have not seen any deals. I have searched many internet on-line shops, various forums and Ebay. I have yet to see any real deals on tanks...especially steel ones.

I am looking for a HP-100 steel tank. Newer Worthington design with the 200 Bar Yoke/DIN valve. The best price for a new one is $345 + shipping. I don't want to go used unless I can see it myself but I live in a small desert community so there are very few tanks available here.

Thanks

Yep, I would love to find a 'Deal' on a set of those as well but I haven't and I suspect that there aren't many deals on those but sometimes there are deals on other tanks ...but maybe not out in the desert.

The best deals on tanks are always at least 2000 miles away until you break down and buy a set at a retail store.
The day/week/month after that you will find exactly what you need on the local Craigslist webpage, and it will be in one of your neighbors garage.
But your wife will not let you put any more tanks into the garage.
Well.....sorta, my saint of a wife has gotten used to 11 tanks in my garage.....but I digress.

I bought (2) PST MP-72's on eBay for $110. each shipped.
The shipping alone had to be $35.00 per.
It ran me another 13.00 each for viz and she was diving them the same day they arrive.
I think that was a good deal.
They're still on there.

I bought a pair of Worthington X-7..120's born date of 2006 for $350.00 for the pair.
Again, $13.00 for the viz and I was good to go.

That was just lucky timing on craigslist.

The MP-72's I bought for my wife are perfect for her.

They still have some available on eBay.
If I needed more tanks, I would have bought them all.

Still...it's good to get rid of these older AL80's.
I'll keep one to either sling or use it as a stage bottle.

it's a lot of watching and looking. I've had some shots at good deals that I now regret not acting on. however, I have to wonder - is all that time and energy really worth the extra $35 per tank? I go nuts sometimes looking for deals...in the end, 5 EANx fills or 2 trimix fills are the cost of the tanks by themselves. LP sometimes has good deals, set a watch on eBay to automatically email you, etc. good luck.

I got a 'deal' on a pair of new Worthington X7-100s. $350 each, including VIP, O2 clean and a full fill with EAN32.

Wait, don't tell me that not a deal. Isn't it?

Frankly, after reading enough posts regarding steelies failing hydro it was worth the little bit extra for a set of new tanks. I'm optimistic that with </= 3442 psi fills and regular maintenance these tanks will last a long time.

Now, after getting the tanks I spent another $33 in extras (each tank: $5 Nitrox sticker, $2 dust cover & $9.5 DIN plug).

There's a shop in FL (maybe divers direct?) that has periodic sales on the faber FX100 for under $300. That seems to be one of the better deals on new tanks. I would not worry too much about buying used tanks, especially from SB members. Those tanks are pretty tough and most people selling them are honest. You might have to buy a set of doubles and sell off one of the tanks and bands/manifold to get a really good deal.

There is definitely some luck involved. A friend of mine found a pair of fabers for about $160 each, if I remember, and we split the pair.

Back
Top Bottom