When to do a Scuba Refresher after some inactivity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

many divers here are "vacation divers", so we encourage them to either get a full refresher, or at least get in the pool to test out their gear and brush up on skills each year before their annual trip.

we also find it very helpful when divers that are "warm water trained" want to dive with us here in canada. typically they are just not prepared to safely dive in our conditions.

most professional associations (PADI) suggest to get a refresher if the OW diver has been out of activity 6+ month.

I think it depends on the experience of the diver. Someone who has a lot of dives under their weightbelt probably doesn’t need a refresher. Someone who gets certified then does little or no diving for awhile probably forgets lots as they never reinforced the skills they maybe weren’t so good at yet.

Refresher prices can be tricky. Some are pool only, some include open water dive with instructor, some do not include third party materials from agency, some have no materials but no agency recognition.

I think it depends on the experience of the diver. Someone who has a lot of dives under their weightbelt probably doesn’t need a refresher. Someone who gets certified then does little or no diving for awhile probably forgets lots as they never reinforced the skills they maybe weren’t so good at yet.
Absolutely. New divers who don't dive regularly from the outset should do one. I think there may be a sliding scale as you get more --regular-- dive experience. I did my first post-OW dive after about 2 months. Longer than that and I may have forgotten stuff. "Vacation" divers may want to take a refresher (or just a local easy dive to review with an experienced buddy) fairly often.
I don't agree with the advice that (everyone?) should take a refresher after 6 months of not diving.
It's like playing the clarinet. After 57 years of regular practicing I could stop playing for 10 years and pick it right up (unless by the dementia hasn't set in....). After averaging 50+ dives regularly for 16 years I don't think I'd ever need a refresher regardless of how long I laid off.

…divers that are "warm water trained" want to dive with us here in canada….

That’s not a “refresher / inactivity” issue, it’s more a DSM 5 thing.

Some divers require a refresher course the day after certification.
How true. Hahahaha.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom