When to do a Scuba Refresher after some inactivity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it depends on the experience of the diver. Someone who has a lot of dives under their weightbelt probably doesn’t need a refresher. Someone who gets certified then does little or no diving for awhile probably forgets lots as they never reinforced the skills they maybe weren’t so good at yet.

Fully agree, my SO and I had not dived for three years. And we got a new travel backplates and computers. So before our trip we headed out to our local lake for a shakedown. Though a two hour drive, we did just one dive. To make make up for the long drive we stocked up on adult beverages across the state line before coming home. One of the most expensive dives I have done.

Most professional associations (PADI) suggest to get a refresher if the OW diver has been out of activity 6+ month.

I think there is a bit of financial conflict there.

[QUOTE="Scared Silly, post: 9411489,

I think there is a bit of financial conflict there.[/QUOTE]

Well, I was avoiding coming right out and saying that....

many divers here are "vacation divers".
Yeah and how many will check hydro dates on tanks? I stopped watching after that.

In many places tanks are never vipped or hydroed.

That six month thing makes me laugh. That’s our “off season” due to winter in the Midwest.

I think there is a bit of financial conflict there.
That was my first thought upon hearing "6 months" because most people (even in places like Texas) take a break about that long between seasons. If you dive regularly during the year, and take a break during the cold-months, you probably don't need a refresher.

Now, I always take it easy and a bit cautious for a couple dives, for cases like the first dive of a season or when changing gear configurations, or doing something new. I honestly probably don't need to do that, and am never nervous, it's mostly out of excess caution. If everything is good to go, I'll ramp it up, while still staying within what I consider to be safe and within my abilities. The other reason for staying cautious is just to make sure my equipment is all good.

The time to take a refresher course is usually:
  • If you've forgotten important details, and/or lack confidence in your ability to dive safely.
  • It's been a long while & you're out of practice.
  • You're mostly a vacation diver, and only dive a few times per year.

I suspect there will be a lot of rusty divers in the water this summer after a year lost to COVID. I don't plan on doing any kind of formal refresher next month when I go to Roatan, but I'm curious to see how much, if any, my skills have decayed over the 18 month hiatus.

Refresher prices can be tricky. Some are pool only, some include open water dive with instructor, some do not include third party materials from agency, some have no materials but no agency recognition.
We charge $140 for pool refresher for first person and only $20 additional for each additional participant. We supply tanks weights bcd regulator.

That six month thing makes me laugh. That’s our “off season” due to winter in the Midwest.

6 months? Wow, you either dive late in season, or get back in early...

But seriously, I don't know about a refresher, but some very simple dives to "wet your feet" are what my family and I do to get the brain back into dive mode. The pandemic has had me/us dry for 1 full year. I'm not jumping in for a dive to 130' as my first dive back.....

Even when we have traveled to a warm water destination, we have typically done a "check-out" type dive before going full in on the dive schedule. This is usually a "house reef" where we are. This also makes sure all gear is happy. Yes, regulators are inspected prior to trips, but things like equipment fit are always a dynamic thing with a layoff...

6 months? Wow, you either dive late in season, or get back in early...

But seriously, I don't know about a refresher, but some very simple dives to "wet your feet" are what my family and I do to get the brain back into dive mode. The pandemic has had me/us dry for 1 full year. I'm not jumping in for a dive to 130' as my first dive back.....

Even when we have traveled to a warm water destination, we have typically done a "check-out" type dive before going full in on the dive schedule. This is usually a "house reef" where we are. This also makes sure all gear is happy. Yes, regulators are inspected prior to trips, but things like equipment fit are always a dynamic thing with a layoff...

I now dive year round, but when the quarry closes in October and the weather in April would often be cruddy, there are your six months.

I've gone six months or so between due to winter/Covid. I generally do a shake out in a pool or an easy lake dive to check my gear and knock some rust off; haven't done a "refresher". I think a lot of folks could do the same or pair up with an experienced diver and go through some drills and be observed.

I suspect there will be a lot of rusty divers in the water this summer after a year lost to COVID. I don't plan on doing any kind of formal refresher next month when I go to Roatan, but I'm curious to see how much, if any, my skills have decayed over the 18 month hiatus.

I've gone six months or so between due to winter/Covid. I generally do a shake out in a pool or an easy lake dive to check my gear and knock some rust off; haven't done a "refresher". I think a lot of folks could do the same or pair up with an experienced diver and go through some drills and be observed.

Diving was one of the few things I could do during the .... thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom