When to come to Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j_spot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My girlfriend and I are both divers and are looking into coming to Belize (Ambergis Caye). The one thing I am having trouble finding is when to come.

How often do Hurricanes/Tropical storms hit Belize? I understand not frequently but I would rather take off season than the chance of a ruined vacation. What seasons are typically best for diving in regards to viz and creatures?

Thanks to anybody who has answers.

I spent a few months there from Jan-March of 2005. We encountered a few good storms (NOT hurricanes of course) then, and couldn't get out past the reef for nearly a week when I was land-based. Hurricane season in the States is generally considered the end of June thru November if I'm not mistaken, but I'm not sure about it in Belizean waters. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in here soon.

drbill called it. It's hurricane season right now but so far, it's a calm year. Belize doesn't get hit often because, I believe, it's kind of tucked into a little cove and the ones coming in from the eastern Caribbean and Atlantic bounce off and head north...most of the time. Felix was an exception to that last year. We get hit by ones that form right here in the western Caribbean. Mitch almost...Keith, Iris...
It's a tough call. Odds are heavily in your favor if you book to come this time of year that you won't experience a hurricane. But, it could happen. I like the diving this time of year though. The water is warmer, usually more calm seas than in Dec through Mar.
Ambergris Caye is a nice place but there is better diving here in my opinion. You may want to consider staying there for a while...party and dive....then head south for laying back and really good diving. There's a resort called Thatch Caye that's located close to the mainland for day trips, but also near the reef and Southwater Marine Reserve. Lots of fish there.

Back
Top Bottom