When to call a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings Charles Bart and I understand exactly what you are speaking off.
It was not sea sick but wicked acid reflux that has decided to rear its ugly head once again.
I was caving at Peacock going up the main line toward Olsen sink when I reached 200' from Olsen I became very ill needing to vomit.
I stopped blew some chunks and this time it was very different I did not feel better but worse!
I turned the dive immediately planning to begin the exit 500' latter just past Pot hole I started feeling better.
Once i reached the cavern zone I was sick again and not well the rest of the day!

This experience has lead to a very new policy when I dive if I do not feel well I DO NOT DIVE AT ALL!
I am not talking about butterflies but when you are blowing through a reg it is unpleasant and not worth it!
In a overhead it is just plain foolish!
I have called several dives since, it is a bummer but I feel much better about vomiting out of the water than in it!
I have had to change my eating habits once again and all is well but if you do not feel well, CALL THE DIVE!

It is not worth the risk to your team or yourself!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Anytime, for any reason, and no diver should make you feel guilty about it... my story - I am in instructor, I was teaching and did a dive brief, got my students to gear up and walked back to the entrance. During that time the swell had picked up to a point where I questioned whether I should call the dive or not. I didn't. We were geared up, etc etc a million reasons and I didn't think it was that bad despite it picking up so quickly. So we went ahead. I got my DM to head in with the dive flag and started to head in with the group. We were all in, and I realised my error. The dive most definitely should have been called, the water was picking up very quickly. I told those closest to the shore to head back in and realised things could get really hairy if I didnt get everyone out quickly, the water was picking up quickly and while they were not beginner divers it was not going to be an easy exit for anyone. After much struggle and quite a stressful exit, we managed to get everyone to shore safely. Anyway, it was a stupid decision, I was lucky, I have not made the same decision since, in fact sometimes I am too cautious. Long story short, anytime for any reason.

Number one rule of diving.... well, there's a lot of number one rules.

One of them is that anyone can call a dive at any time for any reason. No apologies necessary, no repercussions. After-action review is good for learning how to avoid the problem situation next time.

I've called dives at depth, on the surface, and before getting in the water. Last Saturday I called a shore dive (for me, others still dove) before even taking my gear out of the trunk due to weather conditions I wasn't comfortable with.

No worries, there's always another day.

And now, a partially off-topic rant...

The only real issue I've ever had with was in an unnamed tropical location with a fresh-faced DM/guide. I gave the "thumbs-up" signal at the pressure he laid out in his dive plan, he responded back with OK and turned the group INTO the current at 90fsw and started working very slowly up the wall. Too slowly, IMO, for the depth, current, and gas reserves. We didn't have to turn into the current, it was a live boat operation, and we were the only group. I asked him about that when we got back to the boat, and he said he turned that way because "that part of the wall is more interesting". Umm, dude, we're thumbing the dive, not sightseeing.

Sometimes I wish there was a standard hand signal for "F*** you, we're going up NOW." when situations like this come up.

Sometimes I wish there was a standard hand signal for "F*** you, we're going up NOW." when situations like this come up.

There is! Just make sure the tip of the finger is pointed up so the other diver knows you are going up. It's always worked for me, that and/or hauling them up with you.

Bob
-------------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

If it does not feel right dont do it. Stop the dive and head in. If anyone complains you should look for a new dive partner.

Any diver, any time, any reason. I've called dives and been on dives that were called. No repercussions, no worries, there will always be another time.

Call the dive.

Vomit through your reg - don't remove it underwater.

BTW that 39% EAN is pretty close to ppO2 of 1.4 at 80ft. Or is my math bad?

Back
Top Bottom