when to 100'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AOW doesn't Ceritfy you any higher than 60' does it? Just because I did One deep dive and the Knowledge review in the AOW it didn't teach me anything. The only way PADI said "Ok you are qualified to go deeper than 60'" was to take my Deep Diver Specialty Course wich required 4 Deep dives with an Instructor, I had to Plan, dive, do different underwater things like write my name on a slate, open a combo lock and compare times between 100' and on shore to see the effects of Narc and a second half of knowledge review questions. The Specialty is the only part that "Per PADI" certifies you to handle 60+ feet. The AOW manual gave me nothing but a basic Knowledge review.

:) can you tell I just finnished my Deep Diver Specialty.

jon m:
o-k, these are thing i would like to learn so i'll bite- where would one go to get this info? thanks!
-me

There are a couple of very good threads here that will get you started on this. If you do a search for "rock bottom" you can find them. Rock bottom is a method of gas planning when direct ascent to the surface is possible (not an overhead evironment).

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, as an instructor I'm inclined to agree with you.

There's a learning/teaching dynamic that is different with every individual. An instructor can say/demonstrate the exact same thing to different students and get wildly varied results.

Likewise an student can receive the same information/demonstrations from a variety of instructors and learn much more from one than from another.

And some people are fully capable of learning something on their own, while others would not be able to accomplish it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My point is that helping students learn is exactly what teaching is, not magically imparting knowledge. The original statement was "An instructor cant teach you ANYTHING." which, with your, my, and the OP's description of what an instructor is supposed to do is false.

Of course people learn differently and some instructor/student relationships are better than others. And a different relationship may work better for the student or a different way of presenting the material.

So it's a difference of "causing to learn" or "helping to learn." Ok, enough for pedantic definitions of what teaching is.

Copied from PADI's web site : www.padi.com/padi/en/sd/whatstofear.aspx#deep

Scuba diving gives you a unique way to face your challenges and transform your life in new ways. Becoming a diver can give you confidence that spills over into the way you face life every day.

It’s normal to have questions whenever you begin an activity like diving. Your local PADI Dive Center or Resort can provide you with answers, and below you’ll find the answers to many questions people commonly have.

Q: My ears hurt when I go to bottom of a swimming pool or when I dive down snorkeling. Will that keep me from becoming a scuba diver?

Q: Does a history of ear troubles, diabetes, asthma, allergies or smoking preclude someone from diving?

Q: What are the most common injuries or sicknesses associated with diving?

Q: What about sharks?

Q: Do women have any special concerns regarding diving?

Q: How deep do you go?

Q: What happens if I use up all my air?

Q: What if I feel claustrophobic?

Q: How deep do you go?

A: With the necessary training and experience, the limit for recreational scuba diving is 40 metres/130 feet. Beginning divers stay shallower than about 18 metres/60 feet. Although these are the limits, some of the most popular diving is no deeper than 12 metres/40 feet where the water’s warmer and the colors are brighter.

100 feet for OW cert. :no :shakehead :no

jon m:
o-k, these are thing i would like to learn so i'll bite- where would one go to get this info? thanks!
-me
PM me your e-mail address ... I'll send you the gas management stuff I teach in my AOW class.

Walter:
AOW is not education, it's a joke.
Depends entirely on who's teaching it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Depends entirely on who's teaching it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It can, but usually doesn't. I know you teach a real advanced class, not the typical AOW. I have a great deal of respect for you and the classes you teach.

AOW doesn't Ceritfy you any higher than 60' does it?

As I stated earlier, I'm a new diver BUT from my understanding alot of people are confused about PADI and this whole 60' thing. As this poster stated AOW does not CERTIFY you to go deeper than 60 but the deep diver specialty and the 300.00 more dollars you pay the LDS does. Anyhow from my understanding when you are issued a certification card you are a CERTIFIED Scuba diver period. From this point on your method of gaining experience and or additional training are up to you. PADI gives a recommendation of 60' based on their view of your skills immediately after OW but its merely a recommendation until you gain more experience and preferably by paying them more money for cards. I by NO means think inexperienced diving below 60 foot is smart but in the same note I don't think a AOW card straight out of OW amounts to a hill of beans.

Tigerman:
I think you missed the point dude.. Its not lucky if you survive an uncontrolled ascent from 100 feet having been down there as short as you will have on a AL80 tank.. Its bad luck if youre able to get killed (or even hurt) from it..

A diver with a SAC of .5 can get about 40 minutes@100' on an 80, which is double the NDL.

I wouldn't want to be the guy that sucks the tank dry, then bolts for the surface.

Your mileage may vary.

Terry

Tigerman:
I think you missed the point dude.. Its not lucky if you survive an uncontrolled ascent from 100 feet having been down there as short as you will have on a AL80 tank.. Its bad luck if youre able to get killed (or even hurt) from it..

No, Im not encouraging anybody to go diving to 100 feet without the proper qualifications, nor to not dive by the tables, but realisticly its not likely to get bent or killed from such an ascent.

With a closed airway a rapid ascent from 10 feet can kill you.

The way that fatal accidents happen is that people treat something like this which is very dangerous as being acceptable. Then when you get both a rapid ascent along with some other problem on the dive you get the chain of problems which leads up to a fatality.

If you reduce the probabilities of ever running out of gas, losing your buddy or having a rapid ascent, you will minimize the probability of getting the chain of problems which leads up to a fatality.

lamont:
With a closed airway a rapid ascent from 10 feet can kill you.
Actually, with a closed airway, a slow ascent from 3 feet can kill you.<G>

Back
Top Bottom