when to 100'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BKP:
Some seem to 'get it' after just a few dives... Others are still fiddling with their power inflators and kicking the crap out of reefs even after dozens of dives...

Say it again brother! And some never 'get it'.

You've gotten very good advice--perhaps I can add a slight variation.

If you had gone on a dive to 100 feet the day you describe, the odds are excellent that you would not have had a problem. I once did a dive on the Santa Rosa Wall in Cozumel in which a couple on their first dives after training got absorbed by the scenery, forgot to watch their depth gauges or the rest of the group, and went to 120 before the DM went after them and got them up where they were supposed to be. They were fine.

Lots of people dive deep right away after their OW and do fine. That does not mean it's a good idea.

Much of your OW training--like the CESA--is designed to prepare you for things that will probably never happen to you. You will probably be OK if you do a lot of things for which you have not been properly trained.

On the other hand, what will happen if you get out of that probably range--will you have what it takes to handle the situation? What if the DM had been less attentive and not noticed the couple in their Santa Rosa free fall? They had no idea of their depth, and they were still dropping.

A combination of training and especially experience will make a great deal of difference in your comfort level and your ability to handle greater depth. While it is true that most of the good stuff to see in diving is shallower, there are some things that are very much worth seeing at the greater depths, and it's a good idea to give yourself the proper preparation to enjoy them.

I recently got back from a trip to Grand Cayman. On one of the trips there was a couple that had just gotten OW certified. They were using borrowed computers from the dive op. 1st dive of the day was a wall dive, max depth of 120' (DM was leading the dive). Everyone beside me was diving air (I was on 30% nitrox). He (the newly certed OW diver) was totally unfamiliar with the computer he was using, didn't fully comprehend NDL limits, knew basically nothing about narcosis, and ended up going into deco on the dive (he must have gone deeper than his buddy because she did not go into deco). Luckily the DM checked the computer during the ascent and was able to write out deco instructions on his slate (I ended up staying with the OW diver during his short deco obligation).

I guess the point of this story is that "trust me" dives - even with a dm or instructor - can get you into trouble (as has been said many times on this board). IMO, there are lots of things that can get you hurt or worse in this sport, and the things you don't know about or haven't learned enough about (which admittedly for me could fill a library) are the most dangerous.

wow, I am astonished by the replies. I thought everyone would say, 'ha, just make the deep dive, you will be alright.'
Much to my pleasant surprise, most responses seem to recommend caution. I am well aware of the inherit risks in diving. I am not one to look for deeper dives and would much prefer all my dives to be in the 30-50 foot depth range.
However, most dive boats take you out to a 90 foot dive for the first dive and then to a 60 foot dive for your second. Frankly, I have not seen anything at 100 feet that I have not seen at 40 feet.
I dive because the environment is spectacularly beautiful. I see no purpose in taking high risk but understand the drive certain people have to reach the unreachable. That article about David Shaw really sticks in my mind and I wonder why anyone would take such a risk.
My advice to any new diver is take it slow. Try to realize that you really do not know how to dive and would likely be lost if an emergency situation came up. Take as many advance/specialty classes as you can within the shortest time you can. The more you learn, the safer you will be and the safer your dive buddy will be.
Be safe, be in awe at the incredible splendor of it all.

Truely Ignorance is not an excuse when your life is in the balance.

I wanted to go deep personally. not TOO deep mind you but I didn't want to be limited to 60'. therefore I did my Deep Diver Specialization. I am certified to go to 130 feet but recommend 100 due to NARCin. I wanted to go deep but the first time I hit 61' it occured to me, "If I have a problem, I can't go straight to the top anymore." At that point I became a little anxious but realized also that it had to be natural to get a little excited when you willingly put your life in more danger.

If you want to go to 100' get you specialization, it teaches you how to handle the little things that can go wrong.

I actually got to do a really advanced 130ft dive in Mexico. I really didnt expect it. I just wanted to dive. Because the others were more advanced, the DM asked if I was comfortable with going deep. i said my deepest before was 70ft.
I said I will try anything and if I am not comfortable, I will not decend deeper.
The DM was my buddy and I was right with him on the dive. I was comfortable and calm and it turned out really awesome.
I really should not have been allowed on that dive in reality, but its whatever is in your confort zone.
This was on my like 18th dive.

talonraid:
The "traditional" limit for OW certification is 130 feet. I'm not suggesting it's safe to do that for your first dive after class, so flame off! I'm just mentioning it because I read the threads above and was confused by people saying their limits were 40' or 60'. 60' was the maximum depth that my OW certification class was allowed to go to during training (although we did several planning exercises for deep dives), but if I had felt so inclined I could have dropped to 130' right after completing my last checkout dive. Once more, flame off, i'm just saying I could, not that I would.

I have read that some dive shop operators will place a limit on their students in order to be more conservative. My understanding is the LDS or dive shop can be more conservative, but cannot be more liberal than their certifying agency. Perhaps that's where some of the confusion about 40' or 60' limits comes from.

Cheers.
Again can I ask what organization that is with? While there are no "depth limits" per se, PADI and SDI both state that a diver can not dive deeper than his training. Per standards, an instructor must train no deeper than the limit set by the class he/she is teaching:

Junior Open Water Diver - 40 feet
Scuba Diver - 40 feet
Open Water Diver - 60 feet
Advanced Open Water - 100 feet
Deep Diver - 130 feet

These are where the "depth limits" come from.

Tienuts:
Again can I ask what organization that is with? While there are no "depth limits" per se, PADI and SDI both state that a diver can not dive deeper than his training. Per standards, an instructor must train no deeper than the limit set by the class he/she is teaching:

Junior Open Water Diver - 40 feet
Scuba Diver - 40 feet
Open Water Diver - 60 feet
Advanced Open Water - 100 feet
Deep Diver - 130 feet

These are where the "depth limits" come from.

There is no legal requirement to be certified at all. The various agencies set standards that apply to their classes. Instructors are bound by those standards while teaching. Agencies also have recommendations for how they believe folks should dive after they are certified. They have no authority to do anything more than recommend.

shark_tamer:
:huh: I say OW divers shouldn't go deeper than 20 meters ( 45' feet ?? ).

Methinks that 20 meters equates to somewhere in the neighborhood of 66 feet, at an approximate conversion rate of 39.28 inches per meter.

Ken

I'm afraid that I will turn into a pumpkin if I go below 60 ft, so I won't until I get more training.

Besides, as others have pointed out, there are plenty of animals to accidentally kick in shallow water.

:)

Back
Top Bottom