When threads implode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver:
Creating a new thread with a similar title with just a Mod Post is partially ineffective as well. Many of you subscribe to threads and access them that way. Unless you go searching, you're not going to find this new "mod" thread.

And many of us don't, but even for those who do, if they can't find it through normal channels, they are likely to look for the thread. When I'm looking, I'll find the notification thread. We have these discussions quite often. It's easy enough to fix.

This thread was actually made invisible by mistake... our bad and my apologies. We will correct the situation AFTER all the agency bashing rants have been deleted or edited. Mind you, one or two of the most egregious perps may find the thread inaccessible even after the sanitizing. That will be up to the mod who takes it upon themselves to do the cleaning.

POV warriors seldom see themselves as such. They see their posts as pithy and thought provoking, while the rest of us just find them boorish. Rather than discuss the merits of how/why they teach or dive, they concentrate on how the rest of the world is going to die because they don't follow their mantra. Unfortunately, they often derail excellent discussions with their medieval tendency of tilting at every imagined dragon with little regard to those they trample over.

ScubaBoard works best when we stay FRIENDLY. This means no dog piling, no POV battles and no making others feel unwelcome.

Sometimes the threads aren't moved, they're just "hidden" while we go through them. If it isn't actually moved, then there is no way (that I'm aware) of leaving a redirect notice and there is no easy way (that I know) to "unhide" a single post alerting of the action.
There is a way... but it's a bit round aboutish.
  • Copy the thread into another forum.
  • Delete ALL but the OP and lock it down on the original thread (maintains subscriptions).
  • Edit the second thread.
  • Move all the posts from the second thread back to the first thread.
  • Leave the deleted posts and the second OP in the back room.

This is a LOT of work for volunteers to do.

It would seem there are a variety of reasons why mods might act on a thread, and these have to be considered to determine the best course.

In some cases, a temporary lock while the thread remains in place seems appropriate. These might include threads that contain tangential posts that need to be split off or deleted, or threads that have begun to get snippy.

In some cases a hide is more appropriate, even necessary. If it is believed that there is mis-information or a copyright violation, the thread should be removed from view until the correct action can be taken. It would also be a good action if the thread went beyond snippy. The idea of a thread re-direct is a good one if that feature is available, as is the idea of creating a locked stub thread that will be quickly found in the same forum as the original. At least, that's the first place I looked.

I see occasional post editing when names that shouldn't be released are posted, and that seems a reasonable course. No reason to lock a thread for a quick update.

Why else is moderator action taken?

I know I know!

- Off topic posts that derail a thread and turn a useful debate into nonsense
- Flaming posts that turn threads into pissing matches.
- PI revealed (Personal Information)
- On this board specifically, posting something that can be dangerous if the advice is followed by another diver. See my recently closed and moderated thread about "Nitrox Fatigue" for a perfect example of a well intended thread that offers bad advice (at least as the moderator saw it)

According to the harangues often directed at mods when posts/threads are edited or deleted, Here are (drumroll...)

The Top Ten Reasons Why Mods Edit or Delete...

10) They are listening to the voices in their heads!

9) They are psychotic thugs bent on ruining your fun!

8) They haven't gotten any diving in lately.

7) They are in need of a life.

6) They simply have no clue!

5) Their mothers dressed them funny as a child.

4) They are all NetDoc sock puppets, I tell you!

3) Reason? They don't need no steenkeeng reason!

2) They couldn't find their magnifying glass or an ant hill.

1) Your name? Onespeed! The Mod's name? The Kraken!

Thanks, thanks... I'll be here all week!

#1 <snicker>

According to the harangues often directed at mods when posts/threads are edited or deleted, Here are (drumroll...)

The Top Ten Reasons Why Mods Edit or Delete...

10) They are listening to the voices in their heads!

9) They are psychotic thugs bent on ruining your fun!

8) They haven't gotten any diving in lately.

7) They are in need of a life.

6) They simply have no clue!

5) Their mothers dressed them funny as a child.

4) They are all NetDoc sock puppets, I tell you!

3) Reason? They don't need no steenkeeng reason!

2) They couldn't find their magnifying glass or an ant hill.

1) Your name? Onespeed! The Mod's name? The Kraken!

Thanks, thanks... I'll be here all week!

You left out one:

They are Dutch!

You left out one:

They are Dutch!

Unfortunately, that has been suggested... but then I am part Dutch!

I think that the mods usually do a great job (we all make mistakes). I think more people would agree if there was something to tell them what happened when a thread disappears.

A thread disappeared. We don't know why. We aren't told why. The OP isn't told why. Oh my God! They are trying to keep us from voicing our opinions! Somebody get a rope!

Seriously, I think a little feedback when a thread disappears would go a long way toward eliminating the lynch mob mind set we see from time to time. Often people are informed that a thread has been moved for clean up, but all too often we aren't told anything until someone starts another thread asking what happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom