When threads implode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bsee65

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there-

I was watching a thread that seems to have been deleted. Is there any way for you guys to leave some stub behind so that it is obvious that a thread has been wiped out and maybe even why?

I'm wondering if you're talking about the same thread I was watching...

Hi there-

I was watching a thread that seems to have been deleted. Is there any way for you guys to leave some stub behind so that it is obvious that a thread has been wiped out and maybe even why?

Not sure specifically what you're talking about, but if you think something isn't right, hit the "report" button and the mods will look at it.

While it's possible to whack all the posts in a thread, lock it and just leave one explaining what happened, this is actually quite a bit of work, so unless it's an exceptionally valuable thread, we don't usually do this.

Terry

While it's possible to whack all the posts in a thread, lock it and just leave one explaining what happened, this is actually quite a bit of work, so unless it's an exceptionally valuable thread, we don't usually do this.

Maybe create a new thread with almost the same title/subject and a single explanatory post, and then lock it?

Not sure specifically what you're talking about, but if you think something isn't right, hit the "report" button and the mods will look at it.

Terry

That's funny. How exactly would you propose that one should hit the "report" button on a post or thread that is no longer there?

It's a general policy on most sites that, if a thread is locked or wiped out, it is between bad etiquette and a bannable violation to create a new thread on the topic. The particular thread was a discussion of a Galapagos incident, but this isn't the first time I've had this happen. There didn't seem to be anything unseemly going on, so I just wonder why the thread was deleted.

I like the idea of the mod creating a replacement thread with a reason for destruction and locking it.

If members would simply abide by the TOS and follow the rules then thread locking and deletions would be unecessary.

Just say'en.

slpvo7.gif

That's funny. How exactly would you propose that one should hit the "report" button on a post or thread that is no longer there?

It's a general policy on most sites that, if a thread is locked or wiped out, it is between bad etiquette and a bannable violation to create a new thread on the topic. The particular thread was a discussion of a Galapagos incident, but this isn't the first time I've had this happen. There didn't seem to be anything unseemly going on, so I just wonder why the thread was deleted.

I like the idea of the mod creating a replacement thread with a reason for destruction and locking it.

The Galapagos thread was pulled so that it could be examined and possibly cleaned up. I'm not sure who is working on it, but would expect that it would return in the near future.

Terry

The Galapagos thread was pulled so that it could be examined and possibly cleaned up. I'm not sure who is working on it, but would expect that it would return in the near future.

Terry

There was another large, very active thread that suddenly disappeared yesterday with no explanation. I was rather baffled since, although the topic had wandered a bit, the thread didn't appear to have any ToS violations in it. I contacted a mod and queried, and he told me another mod had pulled it and was cleaning it up.

Still ... it's tough to know where the boundaries are sometimes. That particular thread wasn't even what you'd call "heated" ... much less outside of the ToS. Not that I could tell anyway. I was busily typing a response to one of the entries when the thread just suddenly disappeared ... no explanation offered.

I understand that the rules are sometimes subjective, and that the mods are doing their best to maintain order, but I think it might be a better idea in cases where a mod deems a cleanup necessary to just lock the thread, with a short explanation of why it was locked ... "closed for clean-up" would be sufficient in most cases.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Still ... it's tough to know where the boundaries are sometimes. That particular thread wasn't even what you'd call "heated" ... much less outside of the ToS. Not that I could tell anyway. I was busily typing a response to one of the entries when the thread just suddenly disappeared ... no explanation offered.

I understand that the rules are sometimes subjective, and that the mods are doing their best to maintain order, but I think it might be a better idea in cases where a mod deems a cleanup necessary to just lock the thread, with a short explanation of why it was locked ... "closed for clean-up" would be sufficient in most cases.

You would need to PM Netdoc about anything to do with board policy.

Terry

You would need to PM Netdoc about anything to do with board policy.

Terry

Thank you ... I'll do that ... but since this whole thread is about the very subject I was discussing, seems it would be easier to simply ask him to read the thread.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom