When should one think about owning a compressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

I would like to dive remote places where there are no dive shops or hotels etc. Where diving and camping must go hand in hand. One issue that usually pops up in these fantasies is how do you get your tanks filled? I was thinking one possible way would be to transport filled tanks and dive those limited number of dives and come back. Second option would be to own a portable compressor. Just wanted to hear from everyone, what are the costs and logistics involved in owning and maintaining a compressor and what are the circumstances under which this would be recommended? Thanks.

Can you describe what you mean by a portable compressor? You have to be thinking about moving it with a vehicle, right?

For a little over $3000 you order a new basic portable self contained gasoline driven compressor to do what you want.

Depending on the realistic dive count and frequency of expeditions stocking up on used cylinders can be pretty attractive.

When we dive at Acadia NP we each bring 4 and limit the trips to the fill station. She may skip some dives and I may get 2 from a 100 CF cylinder.

Depending on the expedition, some short/aborted dives can leave a cylinder still good for a next dive. It's very scenario dependent.

Pete

Camels- they used to bring compressors and tanks in to the Sinai (Egypt) back in the day.

Diesel run compressors can be pretty small but are slow filling. If you want to dive multiple times per day, you'll need multiple cylinders.

For a little over $3000 you order a new basic portable self contained gasoline driven compressor to do what you want....When we dive at Acadia NP we each bring 4 and limit the trips to the fill station...Pete

I have the same compressor, only the electric version (250 pounds), and it takes a long time to fill large tanks at 3.5 cfm (the real rate after you allow for bleeding each cylinder). So, if you are using a small compressor like mine, you will also need to bring a lot of fuel.

Unless you do as some do in cave country do, and that is to rig a trailer to haul around their compressor(s), fuel, tanks, etc., remote-location "portable" compressors really aren't.

You might be better off going to a rebreather, and bring in a couple of small bottles of O2 already filled and a couple of other bottles that you can use for dil and/or BO. You could then bring in a small hand-operated pump for the dil and O2 transfers, if you brought in a larger bottle of O2 for your fills. You would need to bring in sorb, but depending on the unit (my Hammerhead will go up to 12 hours on one sorb fill) you could easily manage that.

IMO, the logistics of setting up a remote fill station, unless you can air lift the stuff in or bring it in by vehicle (or camel, etc.) is HUGE. On OC I would transport steel tanks pumped to 4,000 psi (if you can get them). It's a hassle, but easier to do than set up a remote fill station, IMO.

I just moved from Singapore to Jakarta and decided on a small 100 l/min compressor that I picked up at a hood price. I'm glad I did, as the choices for air here are pretty limited, and pretty oily as well!
Another option is a rebreather, but a bit more faff!

There are a few things to consider.

Many small portable compressors in the 3.0 to 3.5 cu ft range are not capable of continuous operation and you have to let them cool after filling 1 or 2 AL 80s.

I bought a portable compressor when the local dive shop was sold and the new owners both eliminated the member owned air club and went to shop hours that made it almost impossible to get fills unless you were able to drop off and pick up tanks over lunch.

I bought a low hour military surplus Stewart Warner 3.5 cu ft compressor with a new 5 hp Honda 4 stroke engine. Initial cost was $1,200 but the total cost was $2,200 by the time I added an hour meter, CO detector, fill whip, intake filter, final filter and an intake mod needed to make it suitable for breathing gas.

The compressor, moisture separator and filter hold about 6 cu ft at 3000 psi, so the initial fill in an AL 80 from 500 to 3000 psi takes about 22 minutes. The second AL 80 takes about 20 minutes since the compressor and filter are already at 3000 psi when you start the fill.

Fuel is a non issue as I can fill two sets of double 130s and a pair of stage bottles and not run the 1/2 gallon fuel tank dry. I used to fill the tank on the compressor and bring along a 1 gallon gas can and I never managed to run out of gas on three day, two dives per day weekends.

The compressor weighs 74 pounds with a full tank of gas and has a 17" by 23" footprint and is 19" high.

Cost per fill is high given the acquisition cost, but in terms of convenience, it was some of the best money I ever spent. Even now with it living on my garage, if we want to dive on the weekend, I can just put it in the back yard, and fill them at home, doing some basic match and setting a timer to ensure I remember to check on the tank about the time it is approaching fill pressure. Even if I were to forget, it has an over pressure relief valve so you won't over fill.

There is some required maintenance - oil changes on the engine every 25 hours and I change the compressor oil every 50 hours. The filter stack I use is good for at least 4,000 cu feet and is re-packable with fairly inexpensive activated charcoal and desiccant.

Hello:

I would like to dive remote places where there are no dive shops or hotels etc. Where diving and camping must go hand in hand. One issue that usually pops up in these fantasies is how do you get your tanks filled? I was thinking one possible way would be to transport filled tanks and dive those limited number of dives and come back. Second option would be to own a portable compressor. Just wanted to hear from everyone, what are the costs and logistics involved in owning and maintaining a compressor and what are the circumstances under which this would be recommended? Thanks.
How about just having a bunch of tanks and haul in with a trailer? Or, are the areas too rugged for trailers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom