When should a shop request your C-Card?

What type of purchase should a Diver be Carded for?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should never be required to show a c-card for purchases of merchandise. I dont mind being carded for an air fill, but I want my uncertified friend to be able to go to the dive shop and purchase my birth day gift without be hassled.

In my dirt track racing days the track recommended not require helmets, seat harness and other safety items. I asked the track owner why. His reply was if they were required the track would have to responsible that the all the safety equipment was approved, inspected, properly installed and used.
funnilly enough over here more and more track race clubs have/are falling into that mindset. In the "good old days" Scruntineering (in the US you call it Tech inspection) was compulsary.If you don't pass you dont race-simple.
Nowadays you sighn a form saying you believe your bike is safe.

on the dive gear front I firmly believe its a matter of personal responsibility on the part of the purchaser.
One really fantastic bit about diving is that unlike other "dangerous" sports generally the diver hurts themselves and doesn't kill someone else in the process

so far its been my exp. that any rep. lds that dose not know u will card u and will not sell air to a non c card holder. i think that this is wise on the part of the shop:no:

so far its been my exp. that any rep. lds that dose not know u will card u and will not sell air to a non c card holder. i think that this is wise on the part of the shop:no:
... and why do you, "think that this is wise on the part of the shop"?

interesting thread. For me, though, the interesting question is how it is legal, for a shop that is open to the general public, to require someone to be a member of a private organization in order to buy one of the products they sell? Costco is members only. The local supermart isn't. Imagine walking into any other sore and not being allowed to buy something without showing a card that you had to pay for. I don't have a problem showing my C card but from a purely legal view, I don't understand it. Also, smells a little of monopoly.....

The shop should be able to request to see a C-card any time they feel they need to know the credentials of the diver in question, whether it pertains to gear, gas or a particular dive. If something should happen to the diver (whether qualified to use the equipment or do the dive in question). Who do you think one of the targets of the family of the deceased will be? The card is supposed to be proof that minimum skills have been taught & demonstrated to an instructor's satisfaction. If you have the skills & credentials, then there should be no problems....

interesting thread. For me, though, the interesting question is how it is legal, for a shop that is open to the general public, to require someone to be a member of a private organization in order to buy one of the products they sell?
[snip]I don't have a problem showing my C card but from a purely legal view, I don't understand it. Also, smells a little of monopoly.....

I would say that it's legal for for a shop to refuse to do business with someone. In order to reduce their liability they can ask for it.

I'd say 99% of the time I'm not asked for my C-card ANYWHERE. They seem to like my American Express card much better.

As for members of "private organizations" issues, the US Supreme Court decided that private organizations can exclude people if they want.. Reference BSA v. Dale, June 2000.

Most stores aren't that stupid though. they are there to make money and sell stuff. They just don't want to be held liable for the buyers stupidity. Regardless, that same person can go buy about anything online and never be asked either.

The local supermart isn't. Imagine walking into any other sore and not being allowed to buy something without showing a card that you had to pay for.

never bought beer at a grocery store and been "'carded" for ID to prove you're 21?

I saw someone who was 70 get carded the other day. It was clear they were over 21. Why? because it was store policy to card everyone for liability purposes and to keep sales clerks from forgetting or having to guess "well I guess they look over 21". Makes sense also since in past years the local cops have dressed someone up looking to be an old geezer when they were only 20, and the sales clerk went to jail for selling to someone in a costume. (Yes I know that reeks of entrapment...)

I've filled my cars with gasoline for the last 40 years and no one has ever asked to see my drivers license or asked if I had ever driven a car before.

I have been asked to produre ID to purchase beer since there are laws regarding age. No one ever ask me to produce a card stating I had been trained in beer drinking or advised of the hazards of intoxication.

Sometimes I buy beer and gas at the same location, which the citizens of most states seem to be fine with.

I think I'll be ok to buy compressed air too.

Last edited:
Proving that you are of age for alcohol or tobacco purchases is a matter of law, demanding a c-card at a dive shop is an entirely different matter. The idea that there is liability based solely on the transaction, the purchase of a regulator is self-important clap trap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom