When is "the line" crossed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Touching animals that want to be and like to be touched is OK... but harassing them is not.

I have dove with Mantas, Sharks, Dolphins, Minke Whales and Nassau Grouper... all of which welcomed interaction and human touch. They returned repeatedly or stayed put while I gently petted them or in the case of the Grouper scratched his chin.

Poking, Grabbing or other types of harassing are not OK and will quickly cause the animal to either leave the area or to strike back. Most sea creatures (even those not considered dangerous) can inflict serious injury to divers that harass them. Dolphins and whales can kill with a flick of their tale, Grouper, Morays and other fish can inflict serious bites that can become dangerously infected with bacteria, Sharks ... well that speaks for itself... and Mantas and other rays can also strike with powerful wings and tails.

I say interact politely with animals that come to you... and leave the ones that don't alone...

Ken Barrick

del_mo:
On a recent dive a group of us were watching a green moray just hanging out in an open coral formation. Then this one boob grabbed some ocean debris (1" diameter cable about 6 feet long) and pushed it towards the eel. The eel didn't respond so he pushed it closer and closer until he made contact with the eel. The eel was touched, but not struck, and the eel backed away only as far as it needed to. This boob was ready to make another move when he son grabbed his arm and shook his head "no". While I never felt this guy would do anything to harm the eel, I felt he was touching, if not stepping over the line of interacting with sea critters. (and kudo's to the son)

On another dive I found a large stingray "hidden" in the sand. While a bunch of us were watching, another diver dove down and gave it a "firm" touch that caused it to swim away. Later it returned and my wife and I took turns lying in the sand next to the ray and gently stroked it without causing it to swim away.

Where is the line that shouldn't be crossed?

Don't touch , do not chase, crowd, touch, POKE! , anything , but ... I'm with the person that said get the animals curiosity up and let it come to you. If it wants to play with you , then some interaction is ok (dang if I don't find myself sticking out my hand when something is checking me out, and I have to remind myself not to touch, I think It's something that we unconsciously do with another animal)
I'm reminded of the story my instructor tells of playing hide n seek with an octopus at a distance ... octo up - diver down ... diver up - octo down ... diver down, and stays hidden - octo up , where's diver!??? .. comes over looking for him, crawled all over him when it found him.

Oh , and as for marine animals having a way of protecting themselves ... another time/place , instructor has an octo crawling over his arm, another diver comes up and just grabs him off , roughly handling him ... octo takes his mask off ... diver doesn't get message, octo takes reg out of his mouth ... diver still doesn't get it, octo rams an arm into each ear and pops both his eardrums .... so , ether play nice or stay in the house

DB

Back
Top Bottom