When is LP HP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But that's XS scuba, is there an "official" number or can any manufacturer just pick when it's considered LP or HP?

The "official" number, according to the US government, is 700 psi. By that definition, all scuba tanks are high pressure.

This is what I have seen and use.

~2400 Low Pressure
~3000 Mid Pressure
~3500 High Pressure

That is what I use. A 3442 psi tank is high pressure because it is a lot closer to 3500 than 2400.

Leisure Pro is Low Pressure on line, and High Pressure on the phone....
High Pressure makes things blow up, like divers on the phone :D

Some valves, regs, etc are rated to 3000. Some people don't pay much attention, but it can't hurt to check.

OK if I have a 120 cuft Genesis with a Din valve what can I do to use it with my Yoke Regs? I think that the tank is 3442 psi.

easy take out the Din manifold and put in a Yoke. Way would you think it needed more thin that? Just change the Valve, It's safe and any dive shop well do it for you . But you can do it your salt. Use O2 clean lube

So this would essentially de-rate the tank to match my regs. It would have the same pressure rating as an LP 80 of 3000 psi + safety factor? Is this right?

most dive shops throw out the world use Yoke valves. If you get on a dive boat in Grease, USA, Australia Or in the Philippians. 2400 to 3500 they use Yoke.
If you do cave, Wreck, Any dining that one might bump the tank or valves. You would wont din even it you where diving 2400. Yes Din is better and should be used in Hp but not just because you dive 3400.
Here 3400 in the norm and so is yoke.

I and most all the divers I know have Yoke. I and most dive shoppes, dive boats, dive schools that I have ever been yours Yoke. Most all LDS and dive boats fell the tanks to 3200 and sometimes up to 3500. All the time Your 1st stage regulates the air not the Valve.
Your 1 st stage regulates the Hi and Low to the gages and 2 nt stage. That regulates the are to you according to you depth . There is more to it then that. but this not a book.
Not the valve.

OK if I have a 120 cuft Genesis with a Din valve what can I do to use it with my Yoke Regs? I think that the tank is 3442 psi.

Well you need to know the rated pressure for the cylinder.

Next you need to know what your particular regulator and yoke are rated for. Almost any modern rig will be fine to 3500 but without investigating all you have it's information from an internet chat board.

If your cylinder is rated at 3442 or less then get it refitted with a yoke or DIN/yoke valve that has an insert that can be removed if you ever want to use a DIN regulator.

If the cylinder is rated at 3500 (quite possible for a Genesis) then it needs to remain DIN and you need to have a DIN connector installed on your regulator assuming it is OK for 3500, which is likely.

Is this your only cylinder and if so I assume they are yoke?

The cubic foot size of the cylinder is irrelevant.

Pete

The terms "LP" and "HP" are used in reference to steel tanks.

Looking at tables of specs, Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan one can readily see that steel tanks fall into two general pressure ranges ----

2400+10% (i.e. 2640), and "higher".

The lowest number in the "higher service pressure" group is an oddball 3190psi Heiser tank. (The 3000psi service pressure of Aluminum tanks isn't really relevant, since normally LP and HP descriptions are only applied to steel tanks).

Most Genesis tanks are 3500 psi and have a 7/8" neck thread. At the present time there are no manufacturers of either yoke or so called 200/232 bar valves to fit the 7/8" thread opening.

The yoke fitting can handle over 3500 but it is not often done. Sherwood makes yoke valves that will handle 5000 psi. Cousteau used unmodified Mistral regulators at 5,000psi in the '70's. I have seen a number of yoke regulators that have 3500psi cast into the yoke.

The most common point for calling a tank "HP" is 3442 and ABOVE. The most common "accepted" limit for use of yoke valves is 3442 and BELOW but it is not really a legal limit.

As mentioned before, 200/232 bar vs. 300bar DIN is not really a strength issue either. For example, OMS rates both their 200 bar valves and their 300 bar valves for 4,500 psi service pressure.

As far as using a yoke regulator on a 7/8" thread tank, easiest would be to get a 7/8" thread modular valve and put a 200/232bar DIN H valve on it. The modular fitting would only accept a DIN regulator but the H valve would accept either yoke or DIN.

Back
Top Bottom