When is dive equipment considered old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still have dive gear that is 30 years old (although nothing is left from 50 or even 40 years ago as far as I can remember). In fact, some of it is no longer manufactured, but I still prefer diving with it to buying some of the new stuff. Of course regulators and BCDs may require servicing, but as an old geezer myself I see nothing wrong with diving gear that is younger than myself as long as it is still functional!

I'm still diving my 8 year old Oceanic Alpha 7 when assisting instructors. I only replaced my BC to upgrade to a BP/W, and I'm expecting to get some mileage out of it. I also picked up some new regs two years ago for a twinset.

My mom is still diving her old conshelf 14 from open water certification.

Last edited:
the line is constantly becoming more blurred:

20140102-133250-qfshy7hbbw.jpg

Past about 15 years, I'd start to consider dive equipment "old". That doesn't mean it isn't serviceable and usable though.

2006? 2006?! It practically still is 2006.

Nothing much non-electronic has changed since the 80s, with the possible exception of lighter BCDs with less junk.

A 2006 regulator is way too old to use and is dangerous, you could die!
You need to sell it to me, cheap!
I'll make sure it's used... ahem, I mean disposed of properly.

Let's see.
I have one reg that I use that I can get parts for that's 54 years old.
I have several that I can get parts for that are from the mid to late 60's
I have regs from the 70's, 80's and 90's and only two from the 21st century and all of them I can get parts.

2006 is practically brand new!

I bought my first regulator in 1966, a Calypso J, it still works just fine and I still occasionally use it. About the same time I was given a Mistral DH regulator which was manufactured in 1956 and I still dive it. I have Conshelfs (XIV) from as early as 73 I still use and prefer often. My Jet Fins are circa 1980-4?, not exactly sure and they replaced ones lost I bought about 73. My SP109 regulator set I put together some years back dates from the 70s and it is a very good regulator set. I have one wing that dates to 1984 which I still use, a Seatec, and I have spgs that I still routinely use from as far back as 73.

To answer your question, regulators from AL, SP, Atomics, Apeks and a few others are likely to be serviceable possibly for decades. BCs, it is a bag of air, I do not get to attached to a cloth bag, they last a few years, maybe a few decades, who knows. My favorite BC ever, I used it off and on for thirty years, then it fell apart. Wetsuits, a few years before they look like crap and stink too bad to dare use.

The USD RAM is from 73, the USD spg I bought in 73, the SP console I bought at a shop I worked in about 74 and the Tekna depth gauge I bought circa 1986, the USD Calypso riding shotgun is mine from (since) 1966 bought at a feed and seed store in Louisiana by me. I rode to the f&s store on my Raleigh 1964 English Racer to get it, about 20 miles one way. No big deal, I rode that far regularly to get feed for my menagerie of animals I had:

IMG_0558.jpg

Some people think they need the newest and therefore think it best, I prefer older because I know it better. But maybe that is because I am getting older and better.

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom