when do you use a pony bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's what the TSA says:

Transporting Scuba Equipment

Some scuba gear can (sic) be transported on-board the aircraft. Please refer to the guidelines below:

Regulators, Buoyancy Compensators and mask, snorkel and fins are all acceptable as checked or carry-on baggage.

A compressed gas cylinder is allowed in carry-on or checked baggage ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside. TSA Security Screeners will NOT remove the seal/regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.

NOTE: There is a compressed gas cylinder exception for both carry-on and checked baggage that allows 2 compressed gas cylinders fitted into a self-inflating life-jacket and 2 spare cartridges with the approval of the aircraft operator.

Knives and tools are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.
Spear guns are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage.

Thalassamania:
I guess the real question is what size pony?
I use a 3 litre faber @ 210 bar so 630 litres of air. This is enough air to return from 55m @ 10m per minute with a 3 minute saftey stop. Its also way deeper than I would dive using it.
Anything larger would be a nuisence to carry (might as well go to doubles) anything smaller than a 2L is probably a waste or time.

xiSkiGuy:
When I'm looking for a false sense of security or if I feel like running out of gas twice. . .

This quote is priceless :)

I sometimes carry a 40cf "stage" bottle when it's not required for deco. I've handed it to other divers (not in my immediate group) a couple of times.

I'm not a fan of small second tanks for bailout.

I use mine strictly as a last resort in the event of primary tank or reg failure. So far the only time I've needed it was the one time I didn't carry it. It is now strapped to my primary tank on all dives whether to 15 or 180 ft.

cfelliot:
Most deep dives I'd do would be when traveling.
Can you travel with a Pony?
Do airlines allow them onboard?

Yes. You have to drain the tank then remove the valve. A good tip I got from SB is to tape a copy of the TSA rules re cylinders to the pony. This is not to say that all TSA emplyees are not geniuses.

cfelliot:
Most deep dives I'd do would be when traveling.
Can you travel with a Pony?
Do airlines allow them onboard?

Airlines are not happy with any cylinder containing compressed gas.
In some cases they might require you to pull the valve out before accepting it as luggage.
You can get special dispensation if you are moving tropical fish and have a small O2 bottle to keep them alive.
I would ask first but from experience the answer is no.

Aquanautchuck:
Wow, I have nerver heard this before. Where do you dive that requires a pony? Boats?

Charles

All wreck diving charter boats in New Jersey require you to have some sort of redundant air supply. Either a pony bottle, or a set of doubles. I'm glad they require this!

I'd say that a 40cf side-slung stage bottle is the way to go. It's just a nice setup and you barely notice it's there when you're underwater. I wouldn't suggest anything less than a 30cf bottle.

I've noticed some people say that they bring a pony bottle if they are diving without a regular buddy, or if diving with a buddy that they don't know... I don't know what difference there is if you're diving with your normal dive buddy or not??? You should ALWAYS rely on yourself in case of an emergency. I don't think that any diver should put 100% trust in that a buddy will be always be able to respond in case of emergency. They might panic, or not be able to get to you in time, if there is an OOA situation or if you experience a malfunction of your primary air supply. If you have a pony or a redundant air source, you can calmly respond to your emergency on your own, and get yourself to the surface.

I don't carry a slung pony except on my occasion "very deep" dives. The reason is that as a videographer, it gets in my way when I'm trying to set for filming. For most diving it isn't a problem. My side mounted pony is my standard bail out since it remains out of my way as I film, and I don't do penetrations (where it might be a problem).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom