when do you use a pony bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I might want to have just enough time to say the Lord's Prayer.

1. Strictly as a bailout.
2. Dive profiles below 40 ft.
3. On a cattle boat travelling alone without a buddy.

I did notice some Northeast Atlantic Dive Ops where some boat captains are requiring a pony or doubles. See http://www.njscuba.net/

When I'm looking for a false sense of security or if I feel like running out of gas twice. . .

Ahh...the sweet sound of ritual sarcasm. gurumasta, there are tons of threads here via a search. Pros and cons all have good points. Read them all and then decide what's correct for you. (I haven't seen a single topic that inspires more division on the board than this one.)
That's what I've done and I'm comfortable with my decision. If and when I go to doubles I may change my mind but I am happy to have the redundancy I have now. The most important thing is to drill and practice so that a pony isn't just a decoration-or a hinderance and task loader. Don't ever use it to extend your bottom time or dive plan. Only for emergencies due to backgas tank failures which are extremely rare. I've only got 31 dives logged but I already feel ready and able to use mine, slung and practiced for the first time with it yesterday. I do agree already that slinging a pony is best as opposed to backmounting one. Make sure that you have a good handle on buoyancy skills before adding a pony to your rig though.

I guess the real question is what size pony?

Most deep dives I'd do would be when traveling.
Can you travel with a Pony?
Do airlines allow them onboard?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom