Votes: 10 43.5%
  • To show me a new dive site

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • to reduce learning curve on new challenging dives

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
Why was this comment needed at all

I think that he was making the point that "Never" should have been included as an option in the poll. I have never used a DM. I have never been asked if I wanted to hire a DM and it would have never occurred to me to do so anyway.

When I have gone out on a boat sometimes there was a guide who towed the dive flag on West Palm Beach drift dives. My buddy and I followed him because he had the flag, but I didn't pay to hire him specifically. He was included in the dive boat fee. I don't know if he even was an actual Dive Master or just playing somewhat the role of one.

ew1usnr once bubbled...

I think that he was making the point that "Never" should have been included as an option in the poll. I have never used a DM. I have never been asked if I wanted to hire a DM and it would have never occurred to me to do so anyway.

When I first started to Dive Venice and Naples beaches down in Sunny Florida...I didn't know the bottom or that water from Adam.
This was a perfect time to introduce myself to a local shop and grab a divemaster to show up around.

Without DiveMasters there would be no Instructors. Without Instructors there would be no O/W divers or higher level of divers.

Without Instructors there would be no divers

And without Divers there would be no instructors.

ew1usnr once bubbled...

And without divers there would be no instructors.

Ahhh...first came the diver...then the instructor....then the lawyers....then hardships.....

I think Divemasters are a important part of this great sport. I am new to diving also and Think Divemasters help to make the sport more fun and safe for us new divers and to help us gain experience and knowledge

...first came the diver...then the instructor....then the lawyers....then hardships.....

Yea, but the fun is still there and it outweighs the hassle factor. Though the hassle can be annoying at times.

ScubaRon once bubbled...
PADI actually lists 10 roles that a Dive Master may perform:
  • Guide
  • Supervisor
  • Instructional Assistant
  • Medic
  • Oceanographer
  • Technician
  • Counselor
  • PR expert
  • Seaman
  • Trained buddy

If you need one or more of the above, consider hiring a DM.
:snorkel:ScubaRon
PADI Dive master

Dude....you forgot..."buy beer"..."shlep tanks"...."fill out forms"..."buy more beer"..."cook food while camping"...."go fix this flat tire"..."help newbie review skills"..."help diver plan dive"..."go buy more beer"

there are loads of services DMs provide...but when the day is through, all that beer he bought sure is tasty.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

Dude....you forgot..."buy beer"..."shlep tanks"...."fill out forms"..."buy more beer"..."cook food while camping"...."go fix this flat tire"..."help newbie review skills"..."help diver plan dive"..."go buy more beer"

there are loads of services DMs provide...but when the day is through, all that beer he bought sure is tasty.

I don't think you bought enough beer dude....Go get some more.

CBF- you would be correct if this wasn't in the New 2 scuba area....we don't want to teach inebriated diving until students are well aquainted with general intoxication first...

Please note: The above is certainly not something I condone...drinking and diving are certainly things that don't go well together...if you must, keep your adult beverages in your cooler until after the day is through...and if diving the next day...please keep in mind the theory of moderation...if you have any doubt, stick with the kool-aid.

Without DiveMasters there would be no Instructors. Without Instructors there would be no O/W divers or higher level of divers.

That's simply not true.

Decades ago, before the DM was even thought of, there were divers... Beginning divers and advanced divers.

Prior to my certification two years ago, *I* was a diver. I dove for years without knowing or caring what a DM was.

Still couldn't care less. And the implication that I somehow need some other person to make my decisions for me is positively amazing to me.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

JeffG once bubbled...

1: Haul Gear
2: Fetch Coffee

I am entertained that y'all have been able to find a use for this creature. :D

That's a real nice approach. Way to go. Why was this comment needed at all "and I don't ask my high school driving instructor to drive with me when I take my car for a spin, either."????

Talk about disappointed in someone. You can do a little better than this.

Well, like I said, "I don't mean to be rude, but..." Looks like you focused on the "rude" instead of the "but." :)

I attempted to draw an analogy between a DM and my high school driving instructor. I am a big boy now and don't need either to go and do what I've been taught (and licensed) to do on my own.

Let me guess... You're a DM?

It all boils down to this: I don't want to be "hawked" during my dive. I don't need someone telling me what to do or what not to do, and the only person "in charge" of MY dive is going to be ME. I don't want someone else to plan my dive for me, I don't want someone else telling me when and how to end the dive, and I don't want someone else in-between those two points telling me where to go, what to do, or how to do it.

And I certainly don't need to explain myself at every step along the way if he "lets" me do all of my own planning and diving.

Sorry if that offends you. If, to my face, you told me that you were offended about the fact that I didn't need your services as a DM, I probably wouldn't be so polite about it... I don't know why I am being so polite about it online. To your face, I'd tell you, "Tough. Suck it up. If you want to dive with me, then you're going to need to ask me politely. Then, if I feel like you might make a good addition to my team, we'll do some simple stuff together so that I can find out whether or not you're good enough for my team. If you are, then we'll consider taking you along, but let's get something clear: You'll be the lackey. Until you prove yourself to us, we're going to be leery of placing our lives in your hands. That's all there is to it."

The last thing I need is some kid who thinks he's Aquaman, fondling my gear before my dive, forgetting to plan at all, who tells me to dive my computer and be back on the boat at 500 psi.

I might feel differently if, even ONCE, I'd seen some sort of benefit in a DM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom