Votes: 10 43.5%
  • To show me a new dive site

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • to reduce learning curve on new challenging dives

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjens

Reaction score
I am relatively new to diving and am still trying to figure things out. One of the mysteries to me is the role of Dive Masters. I have never done a dive with a DM. My ceritification dives were all beach dives in Maui, and have been beach diving in Monterey (breakwater) ever since. I understand that when you do a boat dive there is a DM on board to give instructions and to effectively be in charge of the dive, but when else would you use a divemaster.

Do you hire a DM primarily to ensure that you get the most out of your dive (kinda like a tour guide), is their role more to raise the safety level, (eg. if I were to dive Monastery Beach I should hire a DM to go with me the first time), or is this only a boat dive thing to protect a charter boat captain.

I hope this isn't too stupid a question.

All of the above, except for 'protect the charter boat captain'.

If you are going to an unfamiliar and challenging site, such as Monastery, ideally you would have an experienced buddy who would dive there with you for a few times. If not, you hire a DM. Also, if you pay a lot of money to be on a tropical vacation, you may want to experience the best in a limited amount of time. You need a guide for that, so you hire a DM.

FYI, DM's on local charter boats don't dive with you. They conduct the briefing, make sure everyone gets back on board good and well, and also act as 'safety swimmers' when people get in trouble.

Thanks for the confirmation. That is what I thought, I had just seen some posts recently that had me a bit confused.

The comment about protecting the charter boat captain was simply that I assumed no captain would just start booking dive charters without having someone "certified" to be officially in charge of the dive.

And I don't know that I would want to get onto a boat to dive if their wasn't someone topside that had a clue what was going on in the water. I picture combo rock fishing and dive charters. I digress, but I can hear the fisherman now, "Look honey, I snaged that nice diver, oh, and look, his eyes are all popped out... just like that big old Ling Cod I caught".

Anyway, thanks again.

RJ

PADI actually lists 10 roles that a Dive Master may perform:
  • Guide
  • Supervisor
  • Instructional Assistant
  • Medic
  • Oceanographer
  • Technician
  • Counselor
  • PR expert
  • Seaman
  • Trained buddy

If you need one or more of the above, consider hiring a DM.
:snorkel:ScubaRon
PADI Dive master

I use one or more in almost every class I teach.
I have also followed them on boat dives since the locals sometimes find the cool stuff fo me to photograph.

Joe

NEVER

:)

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't hire DM's, and I don't ask my high school driving instructor to drive with me when I take my car for a spin, either.

The LAST thing I want in my dive is for someone else to "take charge."

In my local area, I've researched my a$$ off... I know enough about the local waters that the DM's ask me where to go... And sorry, I'm keeping the best sites for myself and my buddies.

When I travel, I either hook up with a local diver or ask the local divers... Or simply charter a boat and dive where the captain says to dive.

Sorry, man... Had waaaay too many bad experiences with DM's. I would pay to get rid of them! :) "Here's $25. Stay on the dock."

When I'm forced to dive with them, I make it clear that nobody but me touches my life support. Of course, I'm polite about it... "Hey, man... I know you're helping everyone here, but I've got this thing about my gear... Do you mind if I handle it all on my own?" They usually understand.

...And if not... Well... I don't dive with them again.

1: Haul Gear
2: Fetch Coffee

You will find that in many countries or areas (actually most places I have dived except for the US) a guide familiar with the sites is the standard procedure, if not required by law (Sinai, Egypt). In Australia, Fiji, and Egypt, where I had dived before, there usually was a DM on every dive, so I was quite surprised when I did a couple of dives in Florida and they asked me whether I wanted to hire a DM. Any ideas why the procedures are so different in different countries?

rjens once bubbled...

I am relatively new to diving and am still trying to figure things out. The first and maybe best reason to use a (good) DM. Not only do they know stuff about sites, but also procedures and diving in general. One of the mysteries to me is the role of Dive Masters. I have never done a dive with a DM. Try it, you might find that you like it. Heck, you might even learn something. My ceritification dives were all beach dives in Maui, and have been beach diving in Monterey (breakwater) ever since. I understand that when you do a boat dive there is a DM on board to give instructions and to effectively be in charge of the dive Semantics thing, maybe, but YOU are always in charge of your dive., but when else would you use a divemaster.

Do you hire a DM primarily to ensure that you get the most out of your dive (kinda like a tour guide)Sounds like a pretty good reason, to me., is their role more to raise the safety level Another good reason - you're on a roll., (eg. if I were to dive Monastery Beach I should hire a DM to go with me the first time), or is this only a boat dive thing to protect a charter boat captain Yes, protect the Captain, but from what? The Captain isn't a bus driver and has things to do at "inconvenient" moments. A good DM helps the Captain by acting as a lightening rod for divers, as well as his duties with the divers..

I hope this isn't too stupid a question. If you think this was a stupid question, you really are a new diver. Stick around for awhile and you're going to hear people ask some doozies.

SeaJay once bubbled...
NEVER

:)

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't hire DM's, and I don't ask my high school driving instructor to drive with me when I take my car for a spin, either.

The LAST thing I want in my dive is for someone else to "take charge."

In my local area, I've researched my a$$ off... I know enough about the local waters that the DM's ask me where to go... And sorry, I'm keeping the best sites for myself and my buddies.

When I travel, I either hook up with a local diver or ask the local divers... Or simply charter a boat and dive where the captain says to dive.

Sorry, man... Had waaaay too many bad experiences with DM's. I would pay to get rid of them! :) "Here's $25. Stay on the dock."

When I'm forced to dive with them, I make it clear that nobody but me touches my life support. Of course, I'm polite about it... "Hey, man... I know you're helping everyone here, but I've got this thing about my gear... Do you mind if I handle it all on my own?" They usually understand.

...And if not... Well... I don't dive with them again.

That's a real nice approach. Way to go. Why was this comment needed at all "and I don't ask my high school driving instructor to drive with me when I take my car for a spin, either."????

Talk about disappointed in someone. You can do a little better than this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom