When did you go DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
You love the DIR system but like to dive solo? Methinks you don't understand the system too well. :wink:

That is kinda a bit of an oxymoron, no? :D

H2Andy:
well... it's a complex answer for me

i first read JJ's book (Fundamentals of Better Diving) back in 2002? maybe 2001?

i liked what it said, and i tried to incorporate as much as i could into my diving.

then, the more i read about DIR the more interesting it sounded, so i finally
took my DIR-Fundamentals class last year (February of 2005)

i made a conscious decision that i would not call myself a DIR diver at that time.

i *love* the system, and there is much good there, but several things held me back.

first, i like to dive solo and i use a computer

second, it seemed that there was a great deal of emphasis on "being DIR" as
opposed to "being a great diver." while the two can be synonimous, they
are not necessarily so.

i know many divers who "do it right" and are not DIR.

H2Andy: Like you, I like to dive solo, no "team" etc., just the open ocean and peace and solitude.

The GUE/DIR system has, IMHO, helped a lot to adjust dive training in the right direction.

Soggy:
You love the DIR system but like to dive solo? Methinks you don't understand the system too well. :wink:

which is why i dont' call myself a DIR diver. since i understand the system,
i know better than that :wink:

in Wakulla, doing caves, 300 feet deep in trimix, 10,000 feet of linear prentration,
solo? heck no

in the Caribbean, 60 feet max, no more than 100 yards from shore solo?

yeah... makes sense to me. i am far more interested in diving to the
nature of my environment than adapting rigid, set-in-stone requirements
that make no sense for my own diving.

eyebrow

H2Andy:
which is why i dont' call myself a DIR diver. since i understand the system,
i know better than that :wink:

yeah... makes sense to me. i am far more interested in diving to the
nature of my environment than adapting rigid, set-in-stone requirements
that make no sense for my own diving.

eyebrow

yeah just like what JJ said( see my signature....) tech diving not same as recreational diving.. hence the rigidity is somewhere to use your brains a bit.....

but again there are poor "puppies" ....

RTodd:
GUE instructors that smoke? Yeah, right. You are the one smoking something.
In my experience, most people that generally approve of the system but don't fully get it/ adopt it, make up all sorts of excuses that generally boil down to, it would require effort on my part to change X. For instance - solo diving. It allows you to get in the water more. But, if you found a truly good DIR teammate to dive with, the increased enjoyment of true team dives alone, not to mention the increased safety, would end your solo diving days quickly.
I stand by my statement. I will not be naming anyone, but there is at least one GUE instructor who posts here who is at least 50 pounds overweight. The two smokers I know of do not post here. I have been diving with DIR divers for nearly a decade. When we are making a team dive on a wreck, we follow our plan to the letter. When I am diving alone, I'm usually taking pictures or just relaxing and enjoying an hour away from others. I don't consider either activity reckless.

it's like a hamburger... i love hamburgers, but not lettuce

so i skip the lettuce

(that's one pro-found metaphor there, dude, you got to admit)

When did you go DIR: For me, it was during my three teenagers Open Water Class. I was terrified with the prospect of diving with them; that and the fact that I read "The Shadow Divers" during their class. I knew then that I wanted to be the best trained, most competent diver I possible could. Then I remembered going on a Boat dive with some of the local Scubaboard.com members. There were DIR divers in the group, I even got paired up with one such diver; Thanks Lamont. I was very impressed with the professional attitude of these men towards diving, and the congenial manner in which they conducted themselves. So I asked some questions and found my way to the GUE web site. I joined GUE, purchased Jarrod Jablonskis book "Doing it Right" and signed up for the first available class; that was January this year. I had exactly 100 dives logged before the class started.

P.S. With all due respect; what do the last two pages of this thread have to do with the original question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom