When are tanks worth the $?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me it is a mind set. I would rather put the money up front, Then dive more often. If it cost me twice as much every day I dove I might limit my diving a little more. Think about it, if you were going to rent 2 tanks for $20 to dive a lake with 10 ft vis would you do it on a weekly basis. This equation would be worse if you had to go with full rental gear. In my sick mind it is easier to fork up $2500 for full gear pay $10 to fill my doubles then dive whenever I like.

"pickup" trips, Day local dive etc. all become way easier to do once the rental hassle is behind you.

Back in the dark ages when I lived in South FL the time between the decision to go diving (often weather influenced) to the water on a beach dive was about 15 minutes, including the drive time.

I now keep gear in a condition that I can get to a chance boat ride in 15 to 30 minutes, and the guys I often dive with know it. If one of their other planned buddies cancels for any reason I can toss the gear and 3 to 6 filled tanks in the truck and be on the way to the boat in less than 10 minutes. Gotta love those 0500 "weather report" phone calls!

I have my own tanks cause my friend sold them to me for a song. I have not used them yet, but it is nice to know they're there. (I need to get out a lot more often than I do).

I live on a riverbank, and hey, you never know when the river will flood. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom