When a woman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kat:
Really? The onset of menses.

I have a hard time with 10 year old females being considered women.
Anybody else?
Being a "woman" is a physical state. If you can get pregnant, you are a woman. Being a "Lady" is a mental state taht some women never achieve.
Present company excluded of course!

Hank49:
So we're defining man or woman here as .....taking responsibility for oneself and others..such as children? As far as women...if they are old enough to have a child they usually..USUALLy become responsible adults out of the demands of motherhood.

At 12 or 13? That's biologically possible. You ARE kidding, are you not?

Technically, at least here, one is no longer a minor at 18. That's not the question, though.

As far as terms of address are concerned, "ladies" is approrpriate for a group of adult females, until, as Miss Manners might tell you, you are informed otherwise. If my mother (in her 80's,) should refer to her friends as "the girls," that's not necessarily an invitation for anyone else to do so. I tend to think the "girl" thing depends upon who is speaking and what the intent is. I don't like to be addressed that way, but "Ma'am" freaks me out as well.

Personally, I started to think of myself as an adult when my father died, and the ultimate safety net evaporated. The nest is gone, and you do have to fly at some point.

some really interesting views. i think smokingmirror has a good point, it depends on the culture, culture not just being country but in some cases state, canton, district.

saying "my bloody neighbor" is not rude in the states? i didn't know that.

i'm glad ppl only say ma'am in the states. that's awful. it like before someone wants to say something bad to you it's "ma'am, with all due respect, i think you're an idiot". "ma'am, your husband ran off with your sister". lol. maybe that's just tv.

Back
Top Bottom