What's your view of Technical Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

animian2002:
So I'm wondering why is it that female divers are so put off by technical diving.

So What's your view

Well, here is a female diver that is very interested in technical diving. I was certified in March of 2004 so I'm a newbie, but I read all I can regarding tech diving (my interests are cavern and wreck). I'm not fooling myself by thinking it is anything that will happen anytime soon (I'm talking about the deep/deco dives here). I know it is the type of diving that requires lots of experience (as in years) and preparation. 2005 will be the year I get in as many dives as possible toward my goal, as well as taking more courses and doing a lot of reading. Luckily I'm in a local club where other divers have the same interests.

Mel

a lot of the male instructors are pretty level-headed as well, and there' s no reason not to take a class from them...

I'm a female (at least that what I think I'm :D) and I'm interested in technical diving. This spring I'm starting Advanced Nitrox course, and then slowly move to more serious diving. Cave and wreck diving is what I want to learn the most. Maybe one of the reasons that there are not many female technicale divers is the fact thet you have to be really fit physically but honestly I don't think it has anything to do with the gender as it was already stated here.
BTW I already did some deep dives, wreck dives and cave ones...
Mania

I used to be married to, and am now great friends with, an uber-diver who encouraged me always to stretch my diving chops. Though I was cursing for a great part of the time (like when my mouthpiece came off during deco), I managed to get certified in Technical Nitrox.

The draw of it for me was the challenge (I love deep dives, sharks, anything that'll get the adrenalin going), but what left me cursing was remembering all the bottles, when to use what where and since I'm 5'4", I remember feeling overwhelmed by all the "stuff" hanging off me. Not to mention those interminable deco stops...

That said, it was exciting for sure and I'm glad to have it under my belt.

Short answer: I would if I could but I can't so I won't.

Long answer: I would love to but can't: I'm not yet a good enough diver; I can't afford to; and I don't have the time at the minute.

I bet there's other girls out there in the same situation as me.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

scubajesse:
Since the majority of instructors for such couses are male, it's very difficult for a woman to even get her foot in the classroom, that's why there aren't many out there!!

Not true at all.

First off I know several female technical instructors and second I've never known any of the male instructors that I know to do anything to prtevent a women from taking their class.

The dictionary defines 'technical' as the following. One can attempt to apply parts of the definition to how it may relate to 'advanced' diving. Some of my thoughts are in blue.

Of, relating to, or derived from technique.
As one progresses through their dive training and experience, they use this knowledge to enhance skills and develop technique. These are usually conformed techniques of "best practice" tried and proven over time by those who pioneered advanced diving.
Having special skill or practical knowledge especially in a mechanical or scientific field: a technical adviser.
Many skills are needed when diving in complex environments. The cave diver, wreck diver, and ice diver all utilize skills not needed for basic recreational diving. For example, the running of lines in a cave or wreck to facilitate navigation; or the deployment of lift bags to facilitate drift decompression in the open sea during times of swift currents; or the use of a 'tether' line in ice diving. The practical knowledge needed to survive and deal with adversity in these environments goes beyond what is needed for general recreational diving. This knowledge can include but not be limited to physiology, equipment, and procedures.
Used in or peculiar to a specific field or profession; specialized: technical terminology.
'Technical Diving' is considered a niche in the realm of diving, as is underwater photography. The underwater photographer maintains skills and knowledge for their specific niche in diving, as does a diver engaged in overhead environments. This would be termed 'specialized' and requires additional training and many units of experience to be proficient, let alone master.
Belonging or relating to a particular subject: technical expertise.

Of, relating to, or involving the practical, mechanical, or industrial arts or the applied sciences: a technical school.

Abstract or theoretical: a technical analysis.

Of, relating to, or employing the methodology of science; scientific.
The 'technical' diver delves deeper into the science of the human body and the effects of pressure on it. Boyle and Dalton become common names in the practice of understanding gas and it's properties. Calculating 'best mixes' and understanding of decompression 'theory' are the scientific study of the 'technical' diver.
According to principle; formal rather than practical: a technical advantage.

Industrial and mechanical; technological.

Relating to or based on analysis of market indicators, such as trading volume and fluctuations in securities prices, rather than underlying economic conditions such as corporate earnings, inflation, and unemployment: a technical correction in the stock market.

Now, as to the question of why are there fewer females involved or interested in 'technical diving'?

I have seen an increase in interest recently in my neck of the woods from female divers. There are several women training in the decompression procedures and advanced nitrox certs with facilities in my area. There seems to have been a recent surge in new interest. Maybe it's from the release of new books like "Shadow Divers" and the sort. Maybe it's from the general pull associated with more male trainees as a percentage overall.

My attraction to the sport of 'technical diving' was formed by my sense of adventure. My need to see what few see and my need for continuing education in all my areas of interest pushed me further down the path into the realm of advanced or technical diving. I don't see why these same attractions wouldn't be the same for some women. As a percentage, there may be less women involved in certain sports. The nice thing about diving, is there really isn't a physical boundry that exists with some sports. I would love to see more women get involved in technical diving.

My spouse dives nearly as much as I do but is not really interested in technical diving. She does not like deep diving all that much as, at least in freshwater, it gets darker and you cannot see as much at depth. But then again she loves to night dive in the same freshwater where it is totally dark outside the light beam and you can see even less. Go figure.

Tech diving is even more equipment intensive than normal recreational diving so you either have to like playing with the extra hardware involved or you need to at least tolerate it. In many areas of the country males are still more likely to be socially directed toward mechanical "Tim the Toolman" type pursuits than women, so that may have some impact on relative interest of men and women divers in technical diving.

i know quite a few female tech divers. here on the board, Chickdiver and Snowbear
come to mind right away. i am sure there are others.

i've seen quite a lot of women cave diving.

i think Dee is on the right track. most DIVERS you ask about tech diving are going
to say "no thanks." of those divers who ARE interested in tech diving, i would reckon
women are a minority (as they are a minority of ALL divers).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom