What's your SurfGF and how does it compare to your (Rec) GFHi?

1/ What's your average SurfGF? 2/What's your GFHi?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, I think this whole thing is ignoring a fundamental point. The actual M value. GF60 means you are 60% of the way to the M value. Not 60% greater than surface ambient. If you surface with tissue tension at 1.6 ATA (i.e. saturated at 20'), and the M value for that compartment is 3.2 (I think! Not sure off the top of my head), then you're only at GF50.

comparing to actual surface is a hard thing todo cause it appears to imply things that may not be true as taken. 33 ft to surface is a 2 to 1 ratio. gf60 would be 1.6 atm or 20 ft. if you were looking at tissues at 100 ft or 4 atm and you were at 33 ft you would have a 2 to 1 ratio also so you gf60 should be a result of moving roughly 60% of the way from 33 to 100. or I guess 72 ft. if you were at 33 ft or 2 atm and you had a gf99 of 60 then your tissues would be at 3.2 atm so that 3.2/ 2 equals 1.6 or gf60 or 72 ft.

comparing to actual surface is a hard thing todo cause it appears to imply things that may not be true as taken. 33 ft to surface is a 2 to 1 ratio. gf60 would be 1.6 atm or 20 ft. if you were looking at tissues at 100 ft or 4 atm and you were at 33 ft you would have a 2 to 1 ratio also so you gf60 should be a result of moving roughly 60% of the way from 33 to 100. or I guess 72 ft. if you were at 33 ft or 2 atm and you had a gf99 of 60 then your tissues would be at 3.2 atm so that 3.2/ 2 equals 1.6 or gf60 or 72 ft.

No. You are ignoring the M value. And the fact that it’s not a ratio of ambient pressure to surface pressure. It’s a ratio of tissue tension of inert gas to partial pressure of inert gas on the surface.

No. You are ignoring the M value. And the fact that it’s not a ratio of ambient pressure to surface pressure. It’s a ratio of tissue tension of inert gas to partial pressure of inert gas on the surface.

You mis understood me I agree with you it is current instantanious tissue pressure gf99 compared with the surface atm of 1. that is surf gf . sometimes my wording does not come across right. when any combinaton exceeds 2:1 there is the making for problems.

You mis understood me I agree with you it is current instantanious tissue pressure gf99 compared with the surface atm of 1. that is surf gf . sometimes my wording does not come across right. when any combinaton exceeds 2:1 there is the making for problems.

No. You are not getting it. Current tissue pressure versus surface is not the GF. GF is that number divided by the M value of the compartment in question.

GF is a percentage of a ratio. It is not the ratio itself.

Reactions: Jay
No. You are not getting it. Current tissue pressure versus surface is not the GF. GF is that number divided by the M value of the compartment in question.

GF is a percentage of a ratio. It is not the ratio itself.
agreed. we are on the same page Im nit saying things right.

current tissue pressure at current ambient presure is gf99. to predict the surface gf you shift to m line value to 2 instead of the m line value of 20 feet which would be 3.2. that may not be said right either but we are on the same page.

Maybe this might help. Please note where Ambient is, and where the M-Value is.

Source: Gradient Factors | Dive Rite

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 2.15.26 pm.png

It is when I look at figures like this that I go back to being amazed that GFlo has no relevance to an NDL dive.

That is because, for an NDL dive, the horizontal line that starts in the upper right, at the arrow that says “Ascent starts”, runs in a straight (sloped) line all the way to the left and intersects the vertical axis at or below the value for GFHi. So, no matter what GFLo is, the ascent line would never intersect it. If they did intersect, that would represent a deco stop and it would no longer be an NDL dive.

Disclaimer: The ascent line would not actually be straight. I think it would be curved, reflecting that off-gassing occurs exponentially, not linearly.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert on the Buhlmann algorithm. I think I have a reasonably layman's understanding, but what I just wrote could be as full of holes as Swiss cheese.

Doesn't matter: you're saturated if P insp = P amb. When you change P amb, the difference between P amb and P insp is X at time t0 and X/2 at t0 + compartment's half time. I.e. you can construe an ascent profile that would take a tissue compartment from saturated to 0.5 of M0 -- my "5 m in 5 min" example was grossly oversimplified and numerically wrong, it was just meant to illustrate how.

Who cares anyway: fast compartments don't go over M-values if you stick to slow ascent rate and slow compartment never matter at all on no-stop dives. That leaves you with a only couple of "middle" compartments really, which is how DSAT does it. If you know which one you've "loaded", you can work out how long to spend at safety stop to drop its "surfing grapefruit" down to point-five.

If you believe your tissues have compartments in 'em, that is. And/or that 0.5 is "safer" than 0.8.

Who cares anyway: fast compartments don't go over M-values if you stick to slow ascent rate and slow compartment never matter at all on no-stop dives. That leaves you with a only couple of "middle" compartments really, which is how DSAT does it. If you know which one you've "loaded", you can work out how long to spend at safety stop to drop its "surfing grapefruit" down to point-five.

"surfacing grapefruit" LOLOLOL!!

Back
Top Bottom