What's your SurfGF and how does it compare to your (Rec) GFHi?

1/ What's your average SurfGF? 2/What's your GFHi?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay

Need to dive more!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
From what I see with my limited data, is that meandering/slow ascents (even on square-like profiles) have a large effect on reducing SurfGF (of the leading tissue) and whilst NDL has an effect, it seems it's not as large as I thought it would be.

I've enjoyed watching and learning the behaviour of GF99 and SurfGF. SW recently added the ability to graph GF in Cloud. It's very interesting seeing how this plays out in the last 10m, along with its much larger than (I) expected difference vs. GFHi. (GFHi merely representing my user-input of how 'close to the limit' I'm willing to go (based on previous computer use (Geo2) ...). SurfGF tells me how close to that 'limit' in reality I go.

Rec Divers*: for the purposes of the poll, please eyeball you average SurfGF for NDL dives deeper** than 20m.

Please select the closest result. If your result(s) are >5% out of the poll %'s range, please comment and I'll manually add them into a SS and post the results. I'll also pair the above data and calc the differences. It will be interesting to see if GFHi has much effect on SurfGF [EDIT: <-- this comment is incorrect in the sense that SurfGF is profile dependent (see @ChuckP's Post2) and GFHi is merely an input below. GFHi does affect NDL, hence profile ...). Please do comment if you see a NDL <-> SurfGF effect / trend in your data.

Below are some explanations and more detail if some things addressed above are new to you. I've also listed my 'sample' of dives I used.

I use a GFHi of 90 and know of others the use use higher than that. Sometimes I hear 'oh, that's high' ... but it seems that number, whilst at the upper end, and perhaps because of a ?typical? Rec profile, isn't that high.

What, to me, seems to matter more is the SurfGF (my average is 50). Obviously this latter stat is merely the leading tissue, so I'm hesitant to place too much weight on what I *think* are low SurfGF values (relative to my 'high' GFHi) i.e. a high difference I'm 40% (90-50). I'd love to hear from those who possess more deco knowledge to weigh in on this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Why just Rec divers: because Tec divers treat GFHi as a target. Light deco or Tec/Rec are excluded as I don't know if/how much it will bias the results. I'd be interested to hear from light deco say <10-15mins of deco).

**why deeper than 20m: dives shallower than this seem to have SurfGFs close to or below 30. I'm wanting to concentrate the data input range to see if it results in a concentration of SurfGFs.

GF99 at the surface = SurfGF, and when NDL=0, SurfGF=GFHi. If on a dive using a GFHi of 85%, and your NDL=zero, then GFHi=SurfGF=85% and if you went straight to the surface at 9m/min then you'd surface with 85% (of the original (aka unmodified)) M_Value.

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 11.51.50 am.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 11.46.21 am.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 11.29.38 am.png

I dive some longer dives my first dive using EAN32, a GF set at 45/80 and almost always head to safety stop with a surgf higher than 75

If I have no redundant gas, I do not let SURGF get above 90, once it was at 94 before I realized what that truly represented but no more of that - it's what I feel comfortable safe with...

On first dives, I can easily be in the surf GF 85 range.

NDL is just a function of how aggressive/conservative your computer is set. I dive 45/80 and can be in "deco" on every first dive but yet the guy next to me on medium shearwater setting is more than five minutes away, a scubapro G2 set at MB=0 is more than 10 minutes away......

A persons average Surf GF would depend on their dive profiles and would have no bearing in relation to GFHi other than if someone had a GFHi set to say 50 and always wanted to stay greater than 5 away from NDL, their surf GF would always be lower than GFHi.......

On NDL dives (with my girlfriend), I use GFhi 85 for NDL (hard limit), but we always do 10m/1min (she has Zoop) and then 5m/5 min stop + wait at 5m-3m until SurGF 70 or even SurGF 50 on my Perdix unless there is a problem.

Maybe too conservative for rec dives, but hey, cheap policy to be safe after cold and dark dives in Denmark + we dive tech sidemount, so plenty of gas anyway.

I use GF85/85 for all my dives. But, I normally stay at my last stop/safety stop until my SurfGF has dropped to at least 75. 70, if I'm not feeling pressed for time.

That is all whether I'm in for an "NDL" dive, a "light deco" dive, or a "more-than-light" deco dive.

SurfGF is a new term for me. Would someone mind explaining to people like me that haven't ventured over to GF adjustable computers as yet?
That’s a percentage of M-value in the leading compartment if you surface directly at that moment (using standard ascend rate) without doing safety/deco stops

You can use it eg. for padding until certain Surfacing GF during safety stops, evaluating rick of breaking deco stops if needed, etc

That’s a percentage of M-value in the leading compartment if you surface directly at that moment (using standard ascend rate) without doing safety/deco stops

You can use it eg. for padding until certain Surfacing GF during safety stops, evaluating rick of breaking deco stops if needed, etc

Cool. This is a value that the computer will be displaying real time or is it something calculated before the dive?

Thanks everyone.

Seems my Q1 (SurfGF) poll choices might have been a bit on the low side, so if you're above 65% please comment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom