What's your style?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Originally Posted by TSandM
It's interesting that the majority of the people answer say that they like to move slowly. Given that, why do the DMs who lead tourist dives move so fast?"

Because they are trying to catch up to me!
N

TSandM:
It's interesting that the majority of the people answer say that they like to move slowly. Given that, why do the DMs who lead tourist dives move so fast?

I prefer slow too. I think the good DM's set the pace according to customer preference (gets trickier in a big group though) - they basically let you do your thing and lead when people seem to want to move on. The bad ones rush through trying to cover as much ground as possible in an attempt to find something big like a turtle or dolphins, but in my experience that doesn't work and you just end up having a crap dive. And the worst DM's do it on purpose to try to exhaust your gas and thereby to cut down dive time for various reasons.

I mostly go slow. Too fast spooks the fish & I can't shoot them unless I get close. Or if I'm looking in holes for lobsters, the shovelnose blend in very well. It pays to go slower & really look each hole over before moving on.

I'm slow. I can spend a half hour looking at the right 1 ft X 1 ft portion of the reef. On a float dive, I am usually dead last.

I love to take it real slow... when diving, too.:05:

Really, I could just stop and stare a fish in the face as long as I had air and she were willing to stare back!

Depends on the dive and who I am with. Get a bit bored on one spot too long, but not interested in motoring around at warp speed either. Find most DM's move way too fast so if given the opportunity I will ask them to slow down.

Also depends on the concentrations of life. If it is pretty sparse then I will be moving pretty quickly, if lots to see then I want to spend some time looking.

Not "in the spend the whole dive looking at one spot camp". Might spend 10 min on one square metre of reef, but then the ADD kicks in and I need to move on and look at the next reef over. Might be missing something:D

I do think that as I dive more I am diving much slower. I now see much more than I did before. It was there, but I didn't see it, I suspect this trend will continue.

Darnold9999:
I do think that as I dive more I am diving much slower. I now see much more than I did before. It was there, but I didn't see it, I suspect this trend will continue.

Darnold: Lets make it :wink:

I'll have time after my rescue open water this weekend to get out and dive slow(ish) again :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom