What's your knife preference for diving. a.k.a. show off your knives.

How often do you carry and use a knife or a cutter

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a huge Aqualung Seahawk BFK 7.5” blade that I have strapped to the inside of my left calf which I use pretty much only for harvesting rock scallops.
Then I have a pretty sharp double sided dagger style 5” Riffe knife on my waist band I use for spining/dispatching larger lingcod after spearing them.
And last, I have a short blunt but very sharp serrated Victorinox knife /line cutter for getting out of any sort of netting, fishing line, etc. The commercial fishers use them.

I've heard from a lot of people that luging a big knife is good if you dive in places with a lot of kelp. Since the small line cutter are not going to be of any help there.

On another note. How actually you guys use your knives/cutters.

For me it's usually freeing our line in the dive site from fisherman lines and lures. Since they keep fishin in our dive spot.

My larger knife I got exactly for kelp and I've used it once so far when kelp wrapped around too tightly for me to untangle myself by hand. The trilobite is a just in case since fishing line is almost everywhere. Haven't had to use it yet thank goodness but the 'yet' is why I keep it on each dive

I have a huge Aqualung Seahawk BFK 7.5” blade that I have strapped to the inside of my left calf which I use pretty much only for harvesting rock scallops.
Then I have a pretty sharp double sided dagger style 5” Riffe knife on my waist band I use for spining/dispatching larger lingcod after spearing them.
And last, I have a short blunt but very sharp serrated Victorinox knife /line cutter for getting out of any sort of netting, fishing line, etc. The commercial fishers use them.
That sound interesting. Mind sharing a pic?

My shears have always quit on me before I needed them, so quit replacing them. I have a trilobite that I carry in my pocket but have long known it needs to be more accessible.

I gave up my calf knife a couple of decades ago but I look at it now and then wondering what to do with it, sell? Garbage? I have some Cutco steak knives that will perfectly act as good or better than the Roperazer (wouldn't be surprised to find out that they are the same product anyway).
Having never had to use a cutting device yet in 24+ years, I'm not properly motivated.

Someone else had to free my first stage on my first night dive (also 24+ yrs ago), and I'm so glad that he had his knife in fine order! :wink:

h-1769.jpg

Aqualung Wenoka Squeeze Lock (with screwdriver tip) on the left side of the belt, and scissors on the right.
and small tip:
one small tip:
I have similar for same scissors, and use different safety strap - thin small and short (20-30 cm = 1 foot) line, that attached to scissors and shears.
If you accidentaly drop you scissors from shears - you will not lost it - it stay attached.
When you need to operate in emergency case - just cut this line, using same scissors :)
h-2761-jpg.479812.jpg
h-2762-jpg.479813.jpg

Trilobite on right wrist and shears in pocket or right waist if I'm not using a can light. I'll be adding a small knife on left waist soon.

I used to free-dive for abalone and spear-fish with this honker strapped to the inside of my left calf:
DiveknifeR.jpg

I run an XS Scuba fogcutter on my leg, great for line with the built in scissor, a Leatherman line cutter on my harness, and a knife on my console.

15915735326362444092693578554654.jpg

Line cutter
15915735743406124713753295258926.jpg
15915736453412343648361282133020.jpg

I've heard from a lot of people that luging a big knife is good if you dive in places with a lot of kelp
Actually, kelp breaks quite easily with just your hands and I have found, when needed, the simple trilobyte to be the best tool for slicing through kelp. See post #2 for a picture of one, if not familiar with them. It is the yellow cutter on the left.

Actually, kelp breaks quite easily with just your hands and I have found, when needed, the simple trilobyte to be the best tool for slicing through kelp. See post #2 for a picture of one, if not familiar with them. It is the yellow cutter on the left.
I know, i use a ceramic SeaSword (trylobite like cutter) and it's awesome for me. The one I use most. The knife is there just in case.

DGX Sharp Cut w/Sheath (Select Color) | Dive Gear Express®

I like this one because I can put a 5mm globed finger thought the loop on the bottom for extra purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom