What's your knife preference for diving. a.k.a. show off your knives.

How often do you carry and use a knife or a cutter

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two Mares XR B titanium line cutters with me always. One side is ceramic and the other is titanium.
Once had to get unconscious diver out of his gear in water, after that I won't go to water without cutters.
Always thought it would be for fishing line or a net, it might not be.

I have the Wenoka Orange handle every shore dive. I have owned it since 1985. Lost the top. Others were acquired with take all gear purchases over the years. I have the OMS in its sheath on my waist belt.

Attachments

• knives.jpg
    knives.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 62
I was on a UC boat late last year when a fellow diver required a knife to cut some gangion. I handed him my twenty-five year old, wicked-sharp Spyderco harpy, still in great shape after years in the water, and he immediately quipped, "Bowels in or bowels out?" a line from Hannibal in 2001.

I don't know how I missed it, but apparently Doctor Lector used that same knife to messily dispatch Inspector Pazzi of the Questura in the Ridley Scott movie (heh, heh, heh).

Divers can be such a fun group, on occasion . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 12.00.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 12.00.02 PM.png
    358.1 KB · Views: 56
  • D1784175-9CB3-4C9E-911F-D1C066255BDE.jpeg
    D1784175-9CB3-4C9E-911F-D1C066255BDE.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 52
This is my main cutting tool, Victorinox kitchen knife, cost about $5 AU, my back up is a Mares line cutter on my waist strap.
I can buy a box of Victorinox for the price of one line cutter like the this one:
mares-xr-hand-line-cutter-ceramic-black.jpg
IMG_20230115_065015_DRO.jpg

I found another AMF Swimaster. It's so stainless that a magnet doesnt stick at all. Impossible to sharpen.

View attachment 764412
We all wore those monsters on our leg [inside of left calf for me] years ago, some still wear them ! 'Sea Hunt' generation, and my knife is bigger than yours ego trip.:cool:
I am sure some would swim around in circles if they took it off [only joking] having been on their leg every dive for years.
Someone will say they still have "Excalibur" strapped to their leg I am sure, I have a box of the things now not used.
Cutting tools is what you want, not a club.

Tekna Ocean Edge, with the otherwise needle-sharp point filed off, on the inflator hose. Voted "always, never" but I think I've actually used it about once to remove some ghost monofilament line, but not related to any entanglement. (And also an Eezycut on the wrist.)

IMG_2113.JPG

Tekna Ocean Edge, with the otherwise needle-sharp point filed off, on the inflator hose. Voted "always, never" but I think I've actually used it about once to remove some ghost monofilament line, but not related to any entanglement. (And also an Eezycut on the wrist.)

View attachment 764652

these knives look totally bad-ass. sometimes I wish i checked luggage.

Back
Top Bottom