What's your favorite CAD software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m sure that it takes practice to account for shrinkage etc of different thermoplastics etc. Give me a mill and a lathe anytime.

3D printing is tantamount to witchcraft :D

3D printing is tantamount to witchcraft :D
Yeah... I'm really relating to that. I just went through another iteration of my 4S3P Battery holder. Finally separated the upper from the lower stepped base. There are just a couple of differences that need to be handled differently.

I hear it is quite similar to OnShape.

I do not know about On Shape.
I have a home made CNC, and a Ender 3 3d printer
I had a copy of 2005 solidworks that I was using, but when I found Fusion 360 had CAM in it, (no need for CamBam) I crossed over from solidworks, ( I think newer version of solidworks has CAM but it cost a lot. )
I find I can download a lot a files to Fusion 360 then mod them and then output them to Cura (slicer), but use whatever works for you /or that you have.

At work we have AutoCAD and Solidworks.

cnc1.jpg
cnc2.jpg
Post some pics!
Post some pics!
cnc1.jpg

Attachments

• cnc3.jpg
    cnc3.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 79
In college they taught solid works. I worked as tool designer earlier on in my career and we used Solid Edge. I preferred Solid Edge, especially the drafting portion

Well. I'm jealous! Have you checked out CamBam yet? The guys at the Gainesville Hackerspace just love it. I'm going to try it out when I get to using the Maslow CNC.

@Asheron the only way to get better/good at CAD is to force yourself into it. Like @James79 said: Youtube is your friend! The thing I really liked about www.OnShape.com were the online tutorials. I got up one Sunday and decided I was going to learn CAD. By that afternoon, I had a fairly complex drawing started. I had stopped using it for about six months (Fiji and then my broken leg and all), so I was worried when I had to go back into those files and relearn it to make some modifications. It took a bit of perseverance, and now I've even added some more skills. I am delightfully adequate for designing what I want to design. If Ma~ would stop sleeping on my legs so I could get up to measure things, I would be doing even better! :D :D :D

Chairman - it was much different for me as I worked at a large corporation with negotiating and union rights. I wasn’t willing to take on an additional skill or task at work without proper training and compensation as mistakes in these programs at the engineering level cost thousands to millions of dollars.

As a hobbyist trying to learn I share as heck would use every avenue and practice.

+1 Autocad Fusion 360

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom