What's with the hands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well you don't have pockets and ...

No its better tucked in by your body than hanging out creating drag.

Once you feel more comfortable and have your weighting right and your buoyancy is on your consumption will go way down.

So I've noticed that many (experienced) divers tend to do this thing with the hands, where they're basically crossing their arms, with Lhand grasping right arm and vice versa. What's the point of this?

I mean, yeah, it looks cool and all, but is there a specific purpose to this pose?

On a secondary note, I just got certified. How much is it reasonable to expect my SAC to improve as time goes on? As an (embarassing) example, I just did an aquarium dive (actually my first dive after getting my c-card), where I was down to 25-30' feet about the whole time, and I chewed through 2500 PSI (i.e. from 3000 down to 500) in exactly 40 minutes. (I was a bit nervous at the start of this dive for some reason.)

As time goes by, how much longer would I expect to be able to go in these conditions -- 50 minutes? an hour?

Thanks.

A lot of it is all about the look but not touch, don't get so close that you have to use your hands to back out of a position, don't use your arms as a crutch while you are learning to control yourself, and the other reasons mentioned.

Don't worry about your SAC at this point. With more dives, you will relax and "Zen" your breathing through a dive. A very cool feeling of total relaxation.

What others have said . . . The purpose of clasping your hands or arms is both streamlining and the avoidance of hand motion to aid swimming, which is ineffective and uses up gas.

Your air consumption will improve as you become more relaxed, better balanced, and more efficient in the water. If you search on my recent posts, I've written a couple of long ones about SAC rates, and how to improve them by improving weighting, balance, and efficiency in the water.

So I've noticed that many (experienced) divers tend to do this thing with the hands, where they're basically crossing their arms, with Lhand grasping right arm and vice versa. What's the point of this?

I mean, yeah, it looks cool and all, but is there a specific purpose to this pose?

I have seen experienced divers doing this because it makes them more streamlined and it helps to keep warm. A lot of heat can be lost from the armpits. Keeping your triceps close to your body will help a little, especially at depth when your wetsuit compresses.

On a secondary note, I just got certified. How much is it reasonable to expect my SAC to improve as time goes on? As an (embarassing) example, I just did an aquarium dive (actually my first dive after getting my c-card), where I was down to 25-30' feet about the whole time, and I chewed through 2500 PSI (i.e. from 3000 down to 500) in exactly 40 minutes. (I was a bit nervous at the start of this dive for some reason.)

As time goes by, how much longer would I expect to be able to go in these conditions -- 50 minutes? an hour?

Thanks.

I would burn though my tank and experienced divers would have 2000 PSI still left. It was TOTALLY embarrassing. Around 25 dives I noticed that I could stay down at 60' for an hour.

Talking to experienced divers the best advice I have been given is stop worrying about your SAC and worry about your buoyancy. If you can maintain good buoyancy, your SAC will improve. In other words, don't focus on the problem; focus on the solution. :wink:

A second recommendation would be to work on relaxed breathing. Be aware of your breathing and slow it down. Find a calm place (in your mind).

Crossing arms just seems wrong. How are you meant to use a goodman's handle? :[. surelky having arms out in front is a better idea?

Crossing arms just seems wrong. How are you meant to use a goodman's handle? :[. surelky having arms out in front is a better idea?

The Goodman Handle is tagged off to the eyebrow piercing. Any fool knows that. :rofl3:

I tuck my hands up under and behind my backplate. That way I can scratch my butt and no one will know.

The Goodman Handle is tagged off to the eyebrow piercing. Any fool knows that. :rofl3:

I tuck my hands up under and behind my backplate. That way I can scratch my butt and no one will know.

:rofl3:

I just came back from Florida, where I was diving with only wakeboarding shorts and a t-shirt. I found myself putting my hands in my pockets when they weren't out in front of me. Probably looked stupid, but it felt comfortable. :D

I've done the under the backplate thing, too, but the pockets were really comfortable.

I was taught this in my OW cert class and there were 3 reasons why:

1.) So you're streamlined
2.) Because divers who swim with their hands look like idiots
3.) It's supposed to remind you not to touch anything you're not supposed to

I don't know if those reasons make any sense or were taught to anyone else, but they work for me.

It's the hand signal for I'm bored. I forgot my speargun, camera, lobster gear, now all I can do is drift like a plankton.

It could also be a way of telling your buddy what you really think of him, his gear, the dive, the fact that he is taking your picture, etc.

Attachments

• Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 100
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom