What's with the hands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I favor the 'fist bump' pose over the arms crossed pose.
Much more hydrodynamic.
My underarms don't get that cold!

Attachments

• super_arms_crossed.jpg
    super_arms_crossed.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 17
  • super_fb.jpg
    super_fb.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 19
So I've noticed that many (experienced) divers tend to do this thing with the hands, where they're basically crossing their arms, with Lhand grasping right arm and vice versa. What's the point of this?

I mean, yeah, it looks cool and all, but is there a specific purpose to this pose?

Streamlining. A scuba diver should not use their hands to swim. It also makes you look cool.

On a secondary note, I just got certified. How much is it reasonable to expect my SAC to improve as time goes on? As an (embarassing) example, I just did an aquarium dive (actually my first dive after getting my c-card), where I was down to 25-30' feet about the whole time, and I chewed through 2500 PSI (i.e. from 3000 down to 500) in exactly 40 minutes. (I was a bit nervous at the start of this dive for some reason.)

As time goes by, how much longer would I expect to be able to go in these conditions -- 50 minutes? an hour?

Thanks.

I could do 60-80 minutes, especially if I wasn't moving much.

It's the hand signal for I'm bored. I forgot my speargun, camera, lobster gear, now all I can do is drift like a plankton.

Really? :confused: I thought it was the signal for hug me, I'm afraid. :)

It could also be a way of telling your buddy what you really think of him, his gear, the dive, the fact that he is taking your picture, etc.

OMG!!!! is that a loose presure gauge I see in your picture? that is so so wooorong

When I come across people diving with their arms crossed, I just thought it indicated that they were cold. :wink:

I'm newly certified.. 2 weeks ago *cheer*

So my opinion isn't much.

But for me.. I have strong legs. When I kick, I go too fast. I find myself using my hands as a way to go slower and for control.

I know practice, practice..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom