What's with Suunto?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha! I thought my ascent meter was bad because it says I exceeded the limit in every dive, even 26ft OW Cert dives. But I just downloaded the dive profiles and saw there’s no way I could have ascended that fast where it says I went over. So I realized, it was probably some arm flailing! I didn’t recall any beeping or flashing but I’ll pay more attention (and stop flailing).

Mine's not beeping (anymore) but the logs shows tons of "momentary" ascent rate warnings too.

Do you think the momentary warnings are valid?

No, they're just a logging artifact. The ones where it starts beeping might be but even then I expect you have to keep it beeping for a while before they affect the calculations. One of the problems with suunto/mares/cressi rgbm is nobody knows how their "bubble growth" fugde factor is affected by things like that. For all we know, not waving your arms so you don't get the beeping violations might make a huge difference to the "conservatism"...

I may as well turn the beeps off on my Vyper Novo. I think they've gone off before because, like others mentioned, the graph shows ascent warnings. But if they have, I've not heard them yet. Even before I started wearing earplugs, never heard the beeps once while diving.

Last edited:
So @tbone1004, would you suggest I pass on the vyper for $150 and go with the geo 2.0 for $270? Even if I only get about 20 dives a year?

As a once-owner of a Geo 2.0 and a victim of the Vyper: The Nitek Duo tbone suggested is fine, but the Geo is really a nice recreational computer. Only reason we got rid of it is I upgraded to a Petrel and upgraded the wife to a Divesoft Liberty.

The alert beeping doesn’t bother me. Between old ears, bubble noise and always wearing some sort of hood when open water diving I can’t hear them anyway.

Beeping is not a problem except when the user took no action about it and the beeping just carry on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom