what's up with this? help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Old diver here, certified in 82. Getting back in to it after being gone 20 years. I'm 5'8,190 lbs, 36" waist. I wear a large in everyting. Bought a 7mm wetsuit mens L and couldn't get the zippers within 6" of each other across my chest. Sent it back and thinking it was a fluke bought another one. Tried putting on the bottom and lost feeling in my toes before I could get my other leg in. Ive lookes at a couple of charts and the say im a m-L or L.

You have to try them on. Different makers have different cuts. The size on the label doesn't really mean anything. I wear XXL tshirts but my drysuit is 4XL.

I have a large chest too and finally found the Akona Quantum Stretch to be a good fit. I tried on about 10 different suits to find one that fit in all areas. Some would be good down below but tight on the chest. Some would be good on the torso but loose in the arms etc.

Too small is how most wetsuit sizes run. They seem to be cut primarily for slim teenagers without much chest, arm and leg muscle development. I'm 5'11'', and weigh 180. I have a 44 inch chest and fairly substantial leg and arm development. My abdomen is reasonably flat. I need a xxl wetsuit in most brands, though the charts say xl. In XL the arms and leg sections practically cut off blood flow, though the abdomen fits is ok. In xxl it's a bit loose around the hips and stomach, so I wear a thin shorty under the suit. Cheaper and easier than custom suits.

You probably need an xxl in 'short', if the suit manufacturer makes them in tall/short. In general, I think the prevalent concept is that tight is better than loose, less material better than more, so sizes are sometimes close to elfin and charts are unreliable.

Let's see, if you pee in 'em, they stretch real easy......:).........

(most run small---get going up--on the size--till one fits).....

Thanks guys. I'm buying it for dredging not that it matters but I've already gone way over on supplies so for now I'm having to go cheap from ebay. Can't really go trying them on but thanks for the advice. I'll get an xl or xxl from a seller that accepts returns and try again.

Go to the shop and get fitted for size in a brand. Then look on the web.
I would suggest spending on a reputable brand, otherwise you may end up bloody cold LOL (and then having to hire anyway).

Stevo

A lot of brands are sized small. A few years ago I tried on a few Pinnacle suits. I'm usually an XL. I tried on an XXXL and it was too small. I'm now diving Seac suits and they actually run a little on the big side. I can fit into a L suit with no issues. I guess it just depends on where the suits are made.

What's your price range? I might be able to get you into a new suit for an affordable amount.

And as for the advice to go to a shop and try on suits then buy it elsewhere...that's not really great advice. You'll be taking up the time of shop employees and using their product without any reimbursement to them.

Back
Top Bottom