what's up with this dir stuff.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniel f aleman:
Sadly, the thing is that GUE and its DIR program would have a real positive, except.... anyway, the good that will come from it is that the best of GUE program will be absorbed by the big agencies who have the talent to teach it for real.
Isn't this a good thing???

Got to go pick up the kid at school, be back soon.

STOGEY:
I've been looking into the DIR idea also. In my opinion if a person who is really interested in diving doesn't always try to improve their diving techniques wether it be by experience or through instruction they really don't get the most out of the hobby. However I refuse to follow every single dir or even padi type policy, because not everything fits my style.

If you want to learn about DIR, please call Ed Hayes up. He is the owner of the Scuba Shack in Rocky Hill, CT and also the Brownstone Discovery Park in Portland, CT. He is a GUE Fundamentals instructor and can get you in a class, or at the very least talk to you about it.

JeffG:
Isn't this a good thing???

Yep.

Except that the "Hogathian" template really suffered from the DIR supliant mentality of its users. Which, has always made me cringe because DIR counters the Hog reality that rig configuration and dive profile situations are ever changing...

daniel f aleman:
DIR counters the Hog reality that rig configuration and dive profile situations are ever changing...

How so? How are the situations changing? How is DIR not adapting to those changes?

If you know as much as you think you do about DIR, you would know that many changes have been made to the system over the years. Could you give an example where the system fails?

What is your direct experience with DIR and GUE? Please do not cite Interwebnette experience.

Soggy,

I was NACD certified in 1983 by Dr. Iliffe. I've met ALL the divers that matter (dove with some) including JJ in 1988 BEFORE he was even cave certified (he worked at Ginnie Springs); I've heard him speak at the workshops along with rest. I know WHY GUE came into existence, do you?

Dude. Live in Florida for five years, dive the caves, hang out - like I did.

daniel f aleman:
I was NACD certified in 1983 by Dr. Ilffie at Ginnie. I've met ALL the divers that mater including JJ in 1988 BEFORE he was even cave certified (he worked at Ginnie Springs); I've heard him speak at the workshops along with rest. I know WHY GUE came into existance, do you?

Yeah, we know, you've been certified since dirt and done the dives. You know all the history, and all of us feeble newbies are just ignorant. :rolleyes: Puhleeeease, get a new line. You have mentioned at least 3 times on this forum that you have been certified longer than JJ. This means...what exactly?

Yes, I do know why GUE came into existence. It is irrelevant to the topic at hand, which is the applicability of DIR to various diving environments and your obvious lack of experience with the classes. I'm really glad you've met and have been diving longer than JJ. What I asked was what direct experience do you have with GUE and DIR? If you have never taken a GUE class, your credibility on the topic is pretty low.

How's about you just answer the question and leave the chest thumping to the apes?

Dude. Live in Florida for five years, dive the caves, hang out - like I did.

No thanks. I prefer the ocean and the North East. Tried the cave thing. It was neat, but not my style. I like fish and wrecks and lobster.

Actually, I rather live in Mass. over Florida too.

JJ started GUE because he was shot down at reforming the NACD in his image. I don't dislike JJ, he has something to offer... it's all those dummie/newbies that use DIR as a symbol of superiority, rather than learn from it. Of course DIR is applicable to other diving than that of cave, so is a PADI Specialty. And I don't need to take a Fundies class, I know the skills, many of which I teach when I DM for a technical instructor - the frog kick was invented long before GUE, know what I mean?

daniel f aleman:
And I don't need to take a Fundies class, I already know the skills, many of which I teach when I DM for an instructor.

GUE instructors hear that a lot. Many a "certified since dirt" scuba instructor has taken and failed DIRF miserably. You may or may not be one of those people, but your credibility in the discussion is low given that you have no direct experience with the agency or methodology.

I'm not surprised that JJ wanted to revamp NACD. I have a lot of objections to their standards myself. CDS finally figured out that redundancy in an overhead a good concept to teach from the beginning. Too bad NACD is about a decade behind the times and still has people diving single tanks to 1/3rds... (where is the :canofworms: icon?!)

I guess Dan, it's just that us dummies and newbies have thought it out, and after going through the same training that JJ did 20-25 years ago figured out we agreed with him.

The more things change...........so the saying goes.

We're all keenly aware the origin of the frog kick, and JJ banging his head against the walls of the other agencies which lead to forming GUE. Don't take it the wrong way bud, but this is no real news to us. I fail to see your point. Like I've just said, we've also been there, and we still see the same garbage as he did two decades ago. He obviously did the right thing here, whilst everyone else was standing around yanking their puds....

What JJ and GUE has done in just the last decade or so is nothing short of amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom