What's the purpose of this part? | New Halcyon user

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got a new Halcyon in the mail, really excited to finally be using a Bp/W.
For reference I got the eclipse system with the 6lb weighted insert for the STA.

I'm a little confused as to the purpose of this part though. It came bagged with the sex bolts. Looks like a plastic washer of some sorts except it's about 0.6cm in height. It's threaded and screws on perfectly to the bolts provided. Just confused as to where I place it or if it's even necessary.

Halcyon black washer.jpg

Also second question since I'm here. Would it be preferable to use a weight keeper with teeth to secure my harness around the backplate? I'm referring to the lower end where the harness feeds into the hips of the backplate to create the waist strap. Mine came with teethless keepers, real easy to adjust but I'm wondering it this would allow my harness to become loose over time.

Thanks!

Is it a spacer for the cinch system?

I didn't get the cinch system though.

The stainless keepers with teeth do stop the harness from slipping. No idea what that other part is though - maybe just to protect the thread until it is assembled?

The Mystery part is called a STA Bolt Retainer... according to the WreckdiverSupply site its........A simple and effective solution to a real problem. This little plastic gem is used to hold your Bolt in your Single Tank Adapter so you do not loose it. Also to make it easier to reassemble your Halcyon BC System. Check out the site it has a picture and all will be made clear.. Regards Corrie

Also second question since I'm here. Would it be preferable to use a weight keeper with teeth to secure my harness around the backplate? I'm referring to the lower end where the harness feeds into the hips of the backplate to create the waist strap. Mine came with teethless keepers, real easy to adjust but I'm wondering it this would allow my harness to become loose over time.

Thanks!

I've never used them and have never hard a harness come loose. If it was a potential issue, Halcyon would include them with the system...they're good like that.

For typical webbing, just the bend required to go through the two slots at the bottom of the plate is enough to keep the harness from slipping without significant effort being put into having it do so. With the Halcyon webbing (which I love) this isn't true, so a triglide is necessary. But the smooth ones are enough.

Ahh bolt retainers, that makes a lot of sense now. Thanks ScubaCapers.
Thank you everyone else for your input on the keepers. I think I'll try my system a few times before I go willy nilly on everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom