Whats the least expensive atoll? with decent diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...and started to look at places that I haven't dove. closer...

Where have you been diving that is closer to home? Cozumel is a fine choice but there are other options, although the recent hurricane damage and the fact that you are traveling solo does reduce the options.

Check with your local dive shops to see if they are offering any trips in March and you may be able to join a group at a reasonable price.

Anthony's Key Resort of Roatan is an all-inclusive on Roatan and they will again be offering their 2 for 1 special in 2018 which works out the same as "no single supplement" (see the link below) but keep in mind that some of their cheaper rooms don't have AC and that the prices listed don't include the 19% tax (and they may charge extra for Nitrox, I am not sure).

It can be expensive and difficult to fly to Roatan, but Cayman Air is now offering flights from Grand Cayman to Roatan a couple of time a week, and it is often easier and cheaper to find flights from NYC to GC.

50th Anniversary Special | Anthony's Key Resort | Roatan | Honduras

Sunset House on Grand Cayman has been offering a special promotion for single divers for much of this year 2017, see the link below. It ends in mid-December, but you can contact them and see if they are planning to offer it again next year. The high season runs from around January through March so you might have a better chance in April or May. It's not all-inclusive but breakfast and diving are included. There is a 13% tax above the listed prices and an extra fee for Nitrox.

Have a solo trip planned? Sunset House has the answer with big savings

And a lot of single divers find their way to Bonaire and singledivers.com if offering a trip to Bonaire in March that includes options for both single occupancy and same-gender roommate, see the link below.

SingleDivers.com - Bonaire 2018

I hope that you find a great trip!

Last edited:
thanks for all of the great info.

Places i dove:
turks and caicos
curacao
jamaica x 2
bahamas
florida
cozumel MX
Israel- red sea

out of all of those places cozumel is less expensive and offers very good diving. although some of those other places I mentioned may have been better diving they are also more $$$

I have paddled over to this place on Glovers, and to say it is very basic would be an understatement, and it doesn't compare to the other eco accommodations on Glovers and other atolls that I've seen. Single traveler and want a less than Gilligan's Island experience for vacation, it may be right up your alley. Not sure who provides the dive services there? I'd look into pretty hard to make sure it is right for you.
So you know where my rating scale shakes out - I work wildlife law enforcement for a living and have slept in places that would make a pack rat sick.

You must be talking some city slicker pack rats. :D Glovers Atholl Resort isn't that bad. Kitchen and food is good. And the cabins are....ok.

The owners are water people. Warren Cabral is a real fisherman and has a FAD near there. His mom is bad ass too. They have a little station in Sittee River where you can overnight before heading out to the resort.

But, if one wants more modern accommodations, Marisol Resort on the south tip of Glovers is a bit nicer. Good people too. The Usher family of Dangriga owns it.

Nothing against Glovers, I only threw the pack rat thing in to let folks know I'm not a 5 star kind of guy and my expectations aren't as such. I would say I'm pretty accurate on the "not so Gilligan's Island experience" however. We've stayed at Off the Wall Dive resort right next door a few times and love the place and owners. It's what you would probably call an eco resort, very basic, service is great, food is great, people are great. Anyway - if we all liked to stay and dive at the same places the diving would suck :)

I hear you. Having lived in developing countries for the last 30 years, my standards as far as “quality accommodations” have certainly been lowered a bit. We’ve done Tubbataha twice on my buddy’s 85 foot Philippine banka.
But that east side of Glover’s is one of the few places in Belize where you’ll find wahoo. Pretty much right off the resort.

Anyway - if we all liked to stay and dive at the same places the diving would suck :)

Amen to that. One of the reasons I'm grateful for the popularity of Ambergris Caye is that it leaves Belize to the rest of us, lol.

thanks for all of the great info.

Places i dove:
turks and caicos
curacao
jamaica x 2
bahamas
florida
cozumel MX
Israel- red sea

out of all of those places cozumel is less expensive and offers very good diving. although some of those other places I mentioned may have been better diving they are also more $$$

You don't want or need all inclusive in either Ambergris Caye or Roatan.

Hotel tax is high in Belize but lots of hotel prices aren't that bad. Many add on a 10% service fee. The place I stay does that which irks me but after all these years, I just consider it part of the price and work at getting the base price lower.

If you want quite inexpensive, then West End, Roatan is probably the place for you.

If you want to look at West End, I may be able to help point you in the right direction. For that matter, could help with Ambergris too but I think you've ruled it out?

If you want to look at West End, I may be able to help point you in the right direction. For that matter, could help with Ambergris too but I think you've ruled it out?

I think Nuts took his ball and went home a long time ago.

Speaking of long time, where've you been? Good to see you chiming in again.

I think Nuts took his ball and went home a long time ago.

Speaking of long time, where've you been? Good to see you chiming in again.
Thanks Downing, we had some sadness in our family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom