What's the deal with Maeda point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mongodives

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been there quite a few times where the conditions have been pretty good and its closed and sometimes when it shouldn't be open it is.

Is Onna village trying to keep divers out and close down the local snorkelling shops?

I am not sure....the only times I have been there and it is closed the conditions are questionable. My rule of thumb if I have to think twice it is not worth the risk...there are so many other places available for diving. I do know that during the "winter" months Onna village will usually error on caution and close Meada point to reduce the risk of yet another death at Meada.

I'm not against them closing if conditions are questionable, I just don't get why they close it on days when its smooth as glass. There seems to be no standard for closing.
Agreed there are more places to go diving, but its a pain to drive all the way there, see conditions are good and they have the stairwell roped off.

Well I fully agree with you there. Many weekend I drive up there with a class just hoping it is not all roped off, all to find that I am wrong and have to return caravan to someother site, which normally tends to be Channel Cravasses. Hopefully the summer will get better.

JD,The cave is kind of cool. The wall to the left/south is a pretty good nightdive. I just wish they could develop some clear standards of when its open.

I agree. I have only dove (dived?) there once. I did 3 dives that day with Reef Encounters. There are a lot of places there to explore. I want to spend more time diving there. I thought that it was a great place for taking photos.

Back
Top Bottom