Whats the deal with fins these days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I liked my Hollis F1 and I like my Hog F2 but I'm starting to realize that I really need to be in a dry suit for them to be just perfect for me. My backup fins ( SP Jet Sport ) are much closer to neutral and seem to give me way better stability. I've read that the OMS slipstream fins are much closer to neutral also and I bet they would be a really good choice also.

New guy, here. Not a new diver, just a new poster.

After 35 years and a 20 year hiatus from diving I'm coming back. My gear bag is somewhere in the storage unit and I can't seem to find it. I'm not really sure what's in it anyway, except I'm sure I have a pair of old Scubapro jetfins in there somewhere. It's probably time for new equipment.

I've been reading a lot of the posts on fins and what DON'T see are a lot of people recommending fins like Graphites or Power Plana's. Anyone have any comments on these? They're available all over E-bay.

DFB

One thing that puzzles me about this- I don't see anyone talking about Avanti Quattros, and I found a great increase in power when I switched from my old Scubapro Jets to them. I have always heard that they were one of the most relied upon fins, but no mention of them here so far, unless I missed it?

One thing that puzzles me about this- I don't see anyone talking about Avanti Quattros, and I found a great increase in power when I switched from my old Scubapro Jets to them. I have always heard that they were one of the most relied upon fins, but no mention of them here so far, unless I missed it?
Quatros are "OK" fins....much better than splits, but nothing special in comparison to standard paddle fins ( fins that are not split fins). I'd go with a cressi Master Frog before I would go with a quatro....but divers with Quatros do not get embarassed in mild currents trying to get back to an anchor line like split fin wearers do..... My recommendations are on post # 4 of this thread :)

So I'm in the market for a new pair of fins. This is something I don't buy often so I don't keep up with the latest and greatest. It seems like every fin has a gimmick and I don't know whats real or not.

I had about 300-400 dives on my Dacor Turbo fins and although heavy I haven't been happy with any since them. Right now I have Aqua Lung Caravelle's and they are decent bit I don't get the power I did from my 25 year old Dacors.

If you're talking about the old white ones then I had a pair of those, which I also replaced with a pair of Aqualung Blades. In my case I found the aqualung fins actually delivered quite a bit more thrust but were a little more flexible than I liked.

I replaced those with a old pair of Poseidon Unifins, which look like jet fins but they're a little smaller. For me the Unifins struck a chord because they had just the right combination of thrust, flexibility and negative buoyancy. They're not the fastest fins but they feel like an extension of my feet.

Unfortunately Poseidon haven't made the unifin for many years so you'll have to try picking up a pair on ebay. They do, however, still make a short rigid rubber fin called the "trident" which might be worth a test drive. I think if you liked the old Dacor Turbos then the Trident might be a good modern alternative.

R..

I've been reading a lot of the posts on fins and what DON'T see are a lot of people recommending fins like Graphites or Power Plana's. Anyone have any comments on these? They're available all over E-bay.

The graphite fins and the power plana's are from the 90s, this thread is discussing fins that are still available new (well except for Volker and his Force Fins).

---------- Post added October 19th, 2013 at 07:13 PM ----------

Unfortunately Poseidon haven't made the unifin for many years so you'll have to try picking up a pair on ebay. They do, however, still make a short rigid rubber fin called the "trident" which might be worth a test drive. I think if you liked the old Dacor Turbos then the Trident might be a good modern alternative.

Look at the Trident and the HOG fins, they appear to be identical.

---------- Post added October 19th, 2013 at 07:19 PM ----------

One thing that puzzles me about this- I don't see anyone talking about Avanti Quattros, and I found a great increase in power when I switched from my old Scubapro Jets to them.

Jet fins are sized strangely, both the fin pockets and fin size vary widely over the size range. I can see that switching out from a large or below Jet to another fin would increase power. Also the Quattros are lighter which may help your kick. I know I prefer my old Oceanic Ocean Pros over Jets.

I bought a pair of fancy fins when I started diving, they now sit next to my basic paddle fins in my storage area. . .

unless you have knee problems a good pair of paddles should work perfect.

of course I will now be crucified for not saying jets are the only true paddle and that people love split fins too.
Paddles with spring straps!

The graphite fins and the power plana's are from the 90s, this thread is discussing fins that are still available new (well except for Volker and his Force Fins).

---------- Post added October 19th, 2013 at 07:13 PM ----------

Look at the Trident and the HOG fins, they appear to be identical.

---------- Post added October 19th, 2013 at 07:19 PM ----------

Jet fins are sized strangely, both the fin pockets and fin size vary widely over the size range. I can see that switching out from a large or below Jet to another fin would increase power. Also the Quattros are lighter which may help your kick. I know I prefer my old Oceanic Ocean Pros over Jets.

Mares have released a new Power Plana

https://www.deepbluedive.com/blog/2013/07/15/new-mares-power-plana-fins/

Paddles with spring straps!
far be it for me to agree with a controversial statement. . . but I agree ;-)

For general scuba fins, I have to recommend the cressi master frogs. They shortened and widened their fiberglass freedive blade and put it in an open-heel pocket with all of its advantages for booties and easy on/offf with spring straps and packing in a standard size dive bag. They can really crank in a current although not quite up to freedive fin standards. The blade has great snap, is very thin and light, and is much easier than freedive fins to frog kick, reverse kick and helicopter kick. In fact they are a real joy to frog kick. My wife and I have been using them for six months now, on strong current wreck and reef drift dives where you really have to kick, and shallow macro dives at Blue Heron Bridge where precise control, delicate maneuvering and no silting is absolutely mandatory. They are the best all-arouind solution I have seen for scuba and are simple, light, no-gimmic paddle fins with a big snappy blade. Far better than jets in every way unless you want heavy feet for trim purposes.We got ours from Leisure Pro for around $85. Best money spent in a while. My wife, in particular, switched from her soft rubber mares full pocket fins and she can now crank in a current and keep up with me. She loves the extra power.

Back
Top Bottom