Whats the cheapest part of Florida to dive in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys. I live in Kentucky and I have one week off this June. I'd like to make an economical trip to Florida to do some shore diving along with snorkeling. Is there any place that doesnt charge $125 a night for a room within walking distance of the beach? I got burned pretty bad in Fort Myers in January, $120 a night in a motel that was 10 miles inland (urgh).

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

You are asking for alot. Shore diving is very limited. My understanding is there's a couple of spots off Ft. Lauderdale.

You might consider looking at condo timeshare rentals. I've picked up some decent condos for about $300 for a week...a very short walk to the beach in both Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach. But no shore diving. I used skyauction.com to find these.

Boat charters seems to be the most reasonable in Key Largo if you do multiple dives. I continue to recommend SilentWorld.

Probably your best snorkeling will be either Key Largo or Ft. Lauderdale.

I stumbled upon a new site (to me) called Hotel-Guides.us

After doing my usual Expedia check and found rooms in Venice Fl starting around $115, on Hotel-Guides.us I found the same room for $78.

On Expedia, you can always plot the hotel locations so that you know exactly where you are staying and aren't surprised by the 3-mile walk to the beach.

Good luck.

St. Andrews State Park has some jetties to dive, you can camp there for under $20 :) I'm pretty sure there are still some craphole hotels in PCB that can be had for under $100 a night and are relatively close to the beaches.

Yeah, I was thinking about St. Andrews Park. However, there are three things that turn me off about diving there- The current, the fishermen, and all the boats. It was *busy* the July when I went.

The second best shore dive of my life was off of Panama City Beach. I watched a school of baitfish be devoured by bonefish and other assorted predators about 50 feet off the beach. So I certainly don't mind diving over so-called 'barren sandy bottoms', as long as fish are there.

Dunno if there are any cheap places to stay in Destin any more, but Destin has a set of jetties that are alot of fun.

Navarre Beach has the old pier to dive. Pensacola Beach has a pile of pier rubble just east of the new pier that you can dive. All of these sites hold quite a bit of life.

Springs won't be too far up north of you, some very worthwhile of a dive.

There is no shore diving in the Keys. Why not consider boats in the Keys? You can get some very cheap hotel rates and there seems to always be a dive op within a mile. Go to Expedia and look for "discount hotels in Key Largo". You can find a decent room with a pool for about $100 a night (Marina Del Mar for instance). If you really want to go "economy" you can actually rent a room at the Sunset Inn in Islamorada for $50 a night. Mind you, NO amentieis, just a room, great for me and a buddy but I don't know if my wife would stay there. She likes the pool and other stuff.

I could actually book a trip using Sunset Inn and Rainbow Reef divers, for five days, doing 10 dives with a DM included on every dive for $575. Again, no frills. Rainbow Reef has a package of 10 dives (with DM) for $325. And Sunset Inn would cost $250.

That's just an example. If you can make a decision between "what you want" and "what you need", diving in the Keys is fas less expensive than diving the east coast of Florida. As you said yourself, $120 for a room far off the beach. Use this internet tool, you'll be amazed at what you can find.

They'll be "giving rooms away" in June in South Florida. It's the OFF season. You can find rooms at a "mom and pop" motel in or near Lauderdale by the Sea for Under $80 per night.

Fort Lauderdale has some excellent shore diving and like the previous post said..they will be giving rooms away. Water is warm and clear-great time to dive. Commercial pier has parking and showers right at the beach.

Just found the Sheldon Ocean resort in Holllywood Beach for $79.00. Its sits right on the ocean and is walking distance to some shore diving. I would be afraid to see what the rooms look like, $79.00 at the beach does not go too far.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom