What's the best Wrist Mount Dive Computer for both tech and recreatonal diving & why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba once bubbled...

Finally!

Let There Be Light

I always knew that if I tried hard enough even DIR would let me use a computer. :D

:wavey:
Wait a tick...you meant a computer to run Decoplanner, right?
:wink:

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
I'm not sure that I follow how you plan on the fly.
That was a frank admission that we don't always plan our dive and dive our plan in the sense that we say... ok we are going to go down to such~n~such and stay for such~n~such and then come up to such~n~such and stay for such~n~such and then....

You folks need a computer to do these weenie recreational NDL limit dives?

OK: talking about strictly recreational NDL (that is not an admission that NDL exists btw... just a convention to allow us to communicate here)....

We just do our dive.... and we keep track of our dive as it is happening.... and we move the dive up as we need to... and we have a great time.... no big deal. And we spend and hour SI and do it again.

Listen if a computer isn't necessary to do deco dives then why do you guys need them for the weenie rec dives you are doing???

Scuba once bubbled...

Rick, I have found you to be one who thinks thing through, unlike many here who just parrot the line and proceed to place obstacles in their way instead of seeking an undersstanding of things.

I would be interested in hearing what specific issues you have with respect to computer use and limitations. Not seeking an argument.
A comprehensive answer to that would literally take a textbook, but I'll provide some quick examples - as a diver I know what I intend to do; the computer does not. A cave may have a long run at an "inconvenient" depth to the computer's algorithm, for example, etc. I don't know of any computer on the market today that adequately compensates ascent rates for depth. Computer algorithms often allow ascents where stops are wise (mandatory to me). The list goes on... but I wouldn't think of intentionally doing a long cave penetration that involves significant decompression without taking a computer along too.
Suspenders and a belt, that's me! :)
Rick :)

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

You folks need a computer to do these weenie recreational NDL limit dives?

OK: talking about strictly recreational NDL (that is not an admission that NDL exists btw... just a convention to allow us to communicate here)....

Listen if a computer isn't necessary to do deco dives then why do you guys need them for the weenie rec dives you are doing???

Must be brain rot :)

I think that part of the problem is that recreational divers tend to spike down for very short periods of time on wall dives which would be penalized heavily by tables. I suppose that I have done enough nearly identical recreational profiles that I probably could get by without a computer, but it is convenient and secure to have one. I will freely admit that on certain types of profiles that I rarely look at my NDL time on the computer, just depth and time.

I have seen lots of divemasters in places like Coz who do not use computers because the have done the same profiles so many times and besides, they don't have the money to buy one.

Bottom line, computers are not really necessary, but they make things easier and reduce the anxiety factor of many recreational divers. Fine with me if you have things down to where you don't need one.

leadweight once bubbled...
it seems to me that the guys cutting tabels and using timers on their deco dives are doing the requisite planning and have the discipline to keep themselves out of trouble, and the ones relying on computers for deco diving are going to get into trouble.
That's a keeper, leadweight. Spot on.
And I carry a computer as a backup.
Thanks,
Rick

O-ring once bubbled...

Wait a tick...you meant a computer to run Decoplanner, right?
:wink:

What?

The Monster Lives!

Uncle Pug,

Will you please address this question from the perpective of trying to make it work.

Is there any fundamental reason that would prevent the implementation of both systems to garner their benefits?
I realize the resulting numbers won't match, but I think it could be valuable in some cases nonetheless

By the way I use computers on my teeny weeny dives so I know exactly where I stand with respect to the deco guidelines. They seem to be able to calculate complex equations much faster than unrotted brains.

I might even be down there playing with the fishees while you big boys can only dream about it.

RickM,

Thank for your reply. Obviously there's a lot more to getting bent than deco tables.

...and all I can think of is that I got really used to diving that way and I guess it became habit. Kinda funny when I think about it...

What?

The Monster Lives!
Hehe...yeah, surprisingly, with all that computer usage, you are still alive :eek:ut: . I think it's ok if you want to use a computer...after all, it is your choice how you want to dive.

O-ring once bubbled...
Hehe...yeah, surprisingly, with all that computer usage, you are still alive :eek:ut:

I suspect there may possibly be a kink with your "rotted" theory. Better investigate. :)

Scuba once bubbled...
Will you please address this question from the perpective of trying to make it work.
Is there any fundamental reason that would prevent the implementation of both systems to garner their benefits?
I realize the resulting numbers won't match, but I think it could be valuable in some cases nonetheless
The answer is right after the quoted question... the resulting numbers won't match.... the computer gives you *NDL* time remaining at whatever depth you happen to be. I am not interested in that... I only care about how long I was at how deep.

I am working at the solution from a different direction than the computer... and the numbers do not work together.

To try and work both solutions at the same time would be confusing... so I don't. I just keep track of my time/depth profile and keep that within reason... moving up as I need to... and even though on recreational dives one is supposed to be able to ascend directly to the surface I realize that ALL dives are deco dives and so I plan on doing my minimum deco stops... and if I needed to I could add to them.

The above is not hard and doesn't required genius... but to try to do that AND also pay attention to a computer's idea of what the NDL should be would be very distracting. For me a computer has no advantage... only disadvantage... really.

If I have failed to answer your question it is not intentional so please feel free to rephrase and ask again.

Thank you UP,

I was approaching it not with the intention of making them match. But from the perspective of having some type of guideline if the need to make a forward projection arose, (going deeper to help buddy). considering that a ballpark figure of time and depth might be better than none. A rare occurence hopefully. While still being able to retain the advantages to me of a computer.

How often do you guys encounter the need for these forward projections in emergency situations where an accurate estimate is critical. (meaning there isn't plenty of leadway) Accidents happen.

And I'll ask again, how do those of you who use computers handle it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom