Whats the advantages of Oly5060 over Canon A95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJP161

Contributor
Reaction score
My girlfriend recently got me a new Oly5060 and I was curious how it compares to other digital cameras and in particular what the advantages would be over shooting with something along the lines of a Canon A95? I have access to both and I haven't purchased a housing yet so I was curious what route to go. Thank-you very much.

Joe

Check out http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...ebyside&cameras=canon_a95,oly_c5060z&show=all

The Oly is more expensive, bigger, & heavier. It will also shoot raw & has a wider wide angle than the Canon.

If you compare with the Canon S-family, the S60/70's have nearly equivalent zoom angles with the Oly5060, and are substantially smaller.

JJP161:
My girlfriend recently got me a new Oly5060 and I was curious how it compares to other digital cameras and in particular what the advantages would be over shooting with something along the lines of a Canon A95? I have access to both and I haven't purchased a housing yet so I was curious what route to go. Thank-you very much.

Joe

I personally would not buy a camera for u/w that did not shoot RAW (I am not sure which do & don't). If I were shopping for that level of camera right now, I would take a hard look at the Fuji 810.

Dave

I am a complete "newbie" to U/W photography so what does shoot "Raw" mean? I also see that the 5060 has a faster shutter speed, but how significant is that? How much difference is there between the 38mm and 27mm wide zoom? Finally how important is the a Aperture differences and can I add and external strobe to the Canon? Thank-you.

A95 Oly5060
1/2000 sec 1/4000 sec
38 mm 27 mm
F2.8 - F4.9 / ?? F2.8 - F4.8 / F8.0
15 sec 16 sec

RAW is another format - such as jpeg. You have a lot more control over a RAW image as you make the decisions, not the camera. You will also need to ensure that you have software that can handle it.

As a "newbie" I think either system will work for you. There is a learning curve with any system...I think the 5060 will be a steeper curve than the A95, but they will each take some time to learn.

I'd go for the 95 if you aren't diving a lot...you'll probably use it more on land than you would the bigger 5060. At least that is what I find...I grab my smallest camera for get-togethers and the like.

yes, you can add a strobe and external lenses to the A series housings. I have used both Ikelite with a slave and Inon with the fibre optic.

I love my A series cameras, though I shoot uw almost exclusively with the 5050 now.

Check out LukeRob's gallery...I think PhotoTJ also shoots Canon A series. ChadO, too. There are several. These are great cameras to get started and to take you through a ton of learning...

Anyone else have any comments on the Fujifilm F810 or how it compares to the Oly5060 and Canon A95? Thank-you.

Not to contradict the eminent Alcina :wink: but...

I think the gf already gave him a camera (can I have the gf, please :eyebrow: )

In either case, I'd find the housing first, then, the camera second... Casio, for example, makes really good cameras, but aren't housed (as far as I can tell). OTOH, the Olympus Stylus, I'm told, have housings. The Styluses (Styli?) are really very compact compared with the C50xx/60xx/70xx/80xx families. I think the Fuji housings may be a bit difficult to obtain at this instant.

Finally, 1/2000 vs 1/4000 minimum shutter speed is inconsequential for UW photos. It might make a difference if you're trying to take a photo of a hummingbird in flight, or properly expose a photo in very bright sunshine on snow :D

alcina:
If you can find the 810 buy it now...from what I've seen the price isn't coming down.

Those who have one, love it. It does shoot RAW I believe. I think it is slightly more than the A series in price...

alcina:
RAW is another format - such as jpeg. You have a lot more control over a RAW image as you make the decisions, not the camera. You will also need to ensure that you have software that can handle it.

As a "newbie" I think either system will work for you. There is a learning curve with any system...I think the 5060 will be a steeper curve than the A95, but they will each take some time to learn.

I'd go for the 95 if you aren't diving a lot...you'll probably use it more on land than you would the bigger 5060. At least that is what I find...I grab my smallest camera for get-togethers and the like.

yes, you can add a strobe and external lenses to the A series housings. I have used both Ikelite with a slave and Inon with the fibre optic.

I love my A series cameras, though I shoot uw almost exclusively with the 5050 now.

Check out LukeRob's gallery...I think PhotoTJ also shoots Canon A series. ChadO, too. There are several. These are great cameras to get started and to take you through a ton of learning...

Thank-you for your insights. That is a good point I'm much more likely to grab the smaller camera for topside use. As for the pictures I saw in LukeRob's and PhotoTJ I was really impressed with the quality, and if I'm not mistaken they were using the A80.

So my next question, is one of them a little more friendly when it comes to point and shoot without worries and how's the shutter lag? Also what exactly is the difference in the zooms, 38 mm for the A95 vs. 27 mm for the Oly5060? Thanks,

hdtran:
Not to contradict the eminent Alcina :wink: but...

I think the gf already gave him a camera (can I have the gf, please :eyebrow: )

In either case, I'd find the housing first, then, the camera second... Casio, for example, makes really good cameras, but aren't housed (as far as I can tell). OTOH, the Olympus Stylus, I'm told, have housings. The Styluses (Styli?) are really very compact compared with the C50xx/60xx/70xx/80xx families. I think the Fuji housings may be a bit difficult to obtain at this instant.

Finally, 1/2000 vs 1/4000 minimum shutter speed is inconsequential for UW photos. It might make a difference if you're trying to take a photo of a hummingbird in flight, or properly expose a photo in very bright sunshine on snow :D

Sorry a girlfriend this great I'm keeping. Anyways yes I have the Oly5060 and she has the A95 so I can buy the housing for either one and was just trying to figure out which way to go. Basically which one will be the easiest, most practical and give me the best pictures with the least amount of hassle, but will still be expandable as the time comes. Of course the housing for the A95 is cheaper but my question is what am I giving up if anything or for that matter gaining by using the A95 over the Oly5060. Thank-you,

Back
Top Bottom