What's in your pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your not suggesting that anyone on SB takes Spare Air seriously?

Here on this thread, I was suggesting that your winking smiley along with your statement that you rely on a Spare Air indicated your confidence in that piece of gear, nothing more. I wasn't suggesting anything about anyone else besides you. It didn't occur to me that you would joke about a matter of such importance such as redundancy of safety gear.

I guess I was wrong

Your not suggesting that anyone on SB takes Spare Air seriously? :rofl3:

Hell yeah I even want one! For no other reason than to hand my buddy in a s-drill! That would be priceless :D

On a liveaboard I generally dive Nitrox and fill my pony with the mix I plan on using for the trip. If i need to change gas then change the pony - has only happened once for the Blue Hole dive in Belize. Prefer Nitrox as then I can practice, test, top it up whatever without worrying about any change of gas.

Otherwise Air - then I don't have to think about it no matter what I am diving and don't have to change the pony mix.

Since I have to remove the valve on mine to fly for most diving, I wrote on it in permanent marker - "Air Only - to avoid possible mistakes. I have allowed pre-mixed Nitrox in it, but rarely.
I generally carry EANx 50 in my pony. I most often dive solo with doubles. The doubles are for redundancy; the pony is to help with the offgassing, as my dives are usually somewhat deep (100+ feet).
What he said...
I would consider that a deco bottle, not a pony... Pony is there for emergency (which I think the OP was getting at seeing as they said it was for if something drastic happened). I think people's definitions of things can be confusing. I have tended to use pony for bailout, deco bottle for accelerated decompression and stage tank for extending bottom time (though locally I have noticed this used a lot for decompression tanks).

But I'm not sure what is commonly accepted though...

Your not suggesting that anyone on SB takes Spare Air seriously? :rofl3:

And after all the greats discussions, just a couple days ago, about it usefulness in a "pool"....
Uh, some do. I doubt that they say so openly much here, but yeah some.

Most of the time mine is filled with 21 to 23 nitrox, and if I need to top it off at a dive site I top off with nitrox 32.
I fill my own cylinders, so I can fill them with what ever I feel is best for the dive I am doing. Most of my dives are in the 32 to 36 nitrox range, so air or a low grade nitrox is just fine for me.
And if i find myself using my pony for any reason, its most likely going to be the last dive of the day for me.

Jim Breslin

For recreational diving when I do take a pony it has 39% in it which I can use from 100ft and shallower, I do sometime use 32% or Air depending on the dive profile.

My AL 40 has 100% O2. My 19...would have to check since I haven't dove it in at least 2 years.

Air. I don't have a Nitrox cert. And even if I do get one...Air. I don't hit the MOD for that gas in my diving and won't for a LOOOONG time. If ever. And by that time I will be using doubles in a strong team so I won't have to worry about it.

Not to mention the fiscal matter of Air vs. Nitrox in relation to both practice and usage.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom