What's Devil's Den Like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckharlan66

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wandering what Devil's Den in FL is like. What is the depth, skill level required, size, etc.

Any input is appreciated

Chad

The November issue of Skin Diver has an article about the springs and I think Rodales has had one in the last twelve months. The only answer I can give you from the Skin Diver article is the max depth is around 60' and the water is gin clear. Cave cert is not required and there are some swim thrus. Blue grotto is very close by as well.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I will try to get a copy.

Chad

Hi Chad,
Devils' Den is a great place to go and dive a sink in FL. The water is clear as long as you get in early before classes and the mound that you swim around is very interesting as far as a caved in sink hole goes. The facilities are great and it is well kept for the diving public to use. I really like the dive and we saw fossils in the mound too.
Nearby is a great drift dive on the Rainbow River. If you want to do that then you will have to connect with the American Pro Diving shop in Crystal River to do that along with the manatee too. My favorite is the river trip. Try www.americanprodiving.com and let them help you learn the ropes. Then on your next trip you can do some of it your way and on your schedule. They will teach you how and make it much easier in years to come.

My husband and I did a trip to Florida (1400 miles worth of driving, hit both coasts and got part way down the keys) in April 2000 and dove Devil's Den while it was raining. Water was 71, vis was probably 30'. There were a few other divers, I think 6 others, who were in/out separate times from us. Large catfish, interesting fossils, swim throughs, and a few caves -- blocked off unless you are cave certified. You walk down a flight of wooden stairs to a landing, where you just giant stride off into the water probably a 3' drop, or you can go down one more small ladder to another landing that puts you around 1' above the water. Pretty neat to be under the "sink" portion that opens up to the sky.

Margaret
Sacramento, CA

Hi Chad,
I'm not a big fan of spring diving, but Devils Den is a nice dive. My favorite fresh water dive in Florida is the Rainbow River. In the winter time you get to see the Manatees and don't have to put up with the crowds like you do at the Crystal River. I usually snorkel the first half of the Rainbow. The river is shallow and the current will move you right along, it's just like drift diving and very enjoyable. The lower half I dive. You can rent a canoe at the state park and carry your gear in it. My wife rides in the canoe and follows me along. I still find sharks teeth and arrowheads along the way. The Rainbow heads up at Dunellon FL. so if you dive at Devils Den you won't be far from the Rainbow. You don't have to go through a dive shop. Just bring your gear and go to the ramp at the state park and you're ready to start. You must pull a dive flag along with you as you dive or snorkle, they are real strict about that. It's a nice day trip that's enjoyable and inexpensive.:tree:Bob

Thanks Everyone,

I appreciate your input. I am trying to make plans for the winter so that I don't dry out too bad.

Chad

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom