What's an Internet Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am an internet diver Mid November through late March (unless I can get a vacation somewhere warm in between). Starting April, I am a reality diver.

Wow . . . thanks for reviving this thread! It has the single longest post I think I've ever seen from Jeff G in it. He's definitely gotten terser with age. :D

Not the longest by far.

Wow I find it incredible that this thread is still going! This started in 2005!

Wow I find it incredible that this thread is still going! This started in 2005!

I love it when threads come back from the dead... good topics always come back to life.

I was thinking about this though - a lot of ink has been spilled about how because the internet is anonymous it allows people to be more opinionated and leads to the "internet divers" style argument.

But I think a bigger part is that the internet is much broader geographically. I can honestly say that I had never heard of DIR before the first time I logged onto SB. Now I know. Similarly, in Europe they do a lot of things differently to the North American model, some I knew about, some I didn't. I normally consider myself enriched by learning by how others do it, even if I don't choose to follow. But ever so often absurd arguments seem to burst out broadly along the lines of "different to me = wrong". Internet diver is an easy insult to use against someone online that you don't meet in person; probably if somebody says the same thing on a dive boat the same people just listen politely to a different perspective. There was a really absurd argument in a thread the other day whether it was better to refer to a tank's absolute volume (European) or the volume of gas held at working pressure (North American). Just a different way of doing it; no need for anyone to bunch up their drysuit undergarments.

Are you diving?

Nope. He is an internet diver.

Too true... But, just to make it look good, I occasionally update my profile with bogus equipment additions and new certification levels. Now, instead of being a nOOb internet diver, I am an Experienced Internet Diver.

Much safer this way...

Unfortunately, I am not a DIR internet diver.

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom