Whats a good Nitrox capable dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEN9607

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im new to Nitrox diving and am wondering about nitrox capable computers. What are my options? Im looking for something that is good quality, decently priced, has good features. etc..

Most of the new dive computers are Nitrox capable, decent quality and have all the features needed by the Nitrox diver.
In my experience, it is of great value to have help available in using the computer, and quick service/replacement should the computer malfunction. So, I recommend shopping at your local dive shop and buying a brand they support. You will pay a bit more than you will on-line, usually, but the first time you need help or service you'll recoup that investment... with interest.
Oh, to answer your question specifically, of the new ones, I like SUUNTO's Zoop. But if my LDS sold a different line I'd go with the LDS.
><>

I'm partial to Oceanic because of their outstanding customer service and the fact that the user can change the batteries in, I believe, all of their models. I started off with a VEO 100 nx (Oceanic replaced that model with the 1.0) and it was so simple to use. For a couple of more bucks you can get a downloadable model. I've used several Oceanics and now dive with a VT 3, which is hoseless. Prices have come way down.

Suunto Zoop or SubGear XP10 (which is an Uwatec Prime under another brand). I have bad experiences with Oceanic computers so I wouldn't buy any more of them for myself. Maybe there are luckier buyers than me but I prefer Suunto and Uwatec.

I have a SubGear XP-10, it performs its job, has decent options, and most importantly connects to the computer using standard IRDA. So unlike the Zoop or Oceanic V2/3 you do not need to spend $100 on a data cable to connect it to the computer, you only need to spend $20 if your computer does not already have that built in (some laptops do).

Almost all dive computers are Nitrox capable. I would go with the VEO 3.0 from Oceanic. It is a great computer at a great price, and a much better algorithum that other computers like the suuntos, which to me are way to conservative.

You should be a little more specific and describe your needs/wants/budget. I am partial to the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt, for its large bright display, super-ease of use, and its long life rechargeable battery. However if you plan to move onto Tech diving, Trimix, and multiple gases/deco, then a Shearwater or something along those lines is probably in order. I had been considering a SUUNTO D9, until I went and looked at one, and realized that I could not read it (over 40 eyes) - Then I thought "Ill get one of those fancy tech diving computers with the OLED display and just not use the Trimix settings- Until I realized that at least at that time, they needed to be recharged every 72 hours or so, and I could definitely see me missing dives due to dead batteries. I think if you could tell us how much you can spend, and what you need it to do short and long term, we can help recommend the best computer for you. While the Cobalt fits my needs, and force-sit into my budget, it might be entirely wrong for you. Most of my friends laugh at it, but they are all advanced-deco tech divers. For a new Nitrox rec diver, it is perfect because it is mindlessly simple to operate. The last time I played with a regular dive computer, I felt a bit like I was programming a VCR, and I really think that in this day user interfaces should be simple.
Frank

If you want a reasonable priced computer with nitrox capabilities well within the limitations of recreational diving then I suggest the Suunto Zoop. I have the predecessor Suunto Gekko, which is almost identical to the Zoop. Most of my dives are with EANx, and the Gekko have always done the job.

Thanks for your time,
To be a bit more specific, my budget for a computer is around the 500-600 dollar mark. Also I am looking to become a tech diver in the next 1-2 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom