Whats a good Nitrox capable dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In that case, you want a multi-gas and bottom timer capable computer.

The Uwatec Aladin 2G is an excellent two gas nitrox computer that works well for technical diving through AN/DP and then works very well as a bottom timer when doing trimix training/diving.

The Nitek 3 is also a very good 3 gas nitrox computer with the same general capabilities.

Both are under $500 and both are hockey puck computers that fit in wrist mounts - which works well for technical or recreational diving. For about twice the money you can get into a Shearwater Predator that offers 5 gasses and trimix capability - buy once and never be sorry.

Alternatively you can find some used trimix computers in that $500 price range such as the Cochran EMC-20H, the Nitek HE, a monochrome VR3, etc. Just be very well informed about their pros, cons and limitations before you buy one.

What I would look for is an easy to read display, at least two buttons, PC or Mac upload ability, on-board simulator, and an algorithm you're comfortable with. Also nice is a nitrogen loading bar graph, ascent indicator and auto safety stop unless you're going for a tech unit.

Adam

I can't address tech. diving concerns. To narrow the choices down to some modestly expensive models within a single brand so you can compare & get a sense of what TYPE of computer you want, then consider different brands/models within that type, I suggest looking at these in Oceanic's lineup.

1.) Geo 2.0 - a wrist watch style computer that is not air integrated, as opposed to those that use wireless transmitters for air integration like the VT4. You might find some decent deals on used past model air integrated like the Atom 2.0 (now that the 3.0 is out), though, which might be a fine alternative for you. I wouldn't get an Atom 1.0 (doesn't work with the current version of the Oceanic Divelog software, which itself has a number of critics).

2.) Veo 3.0 - wrist 'hockey puck' style computer, from what I understand. Not air integrated. The used VT3 (now that the VT4 is out) can sometimes be found for a good price; a couple were offered for around $400 apiece in the classifieds on this forum recently.

3.) Data Pro Plus 2.1 - air-integrated console-style. A lot cheaper than an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt, though I'd opt for the latter were money not limiting for you.

There are some computers that are dissimilar looking enough to merit their own category; the Mares Icon HD, for example.

If you compare these & figure out what you want, and at what price point, you can then get into Oceanic vs. Suunto, etc...

The DiveNav.com folks have a web site you can consult to get some comparisons of computers; I think this link will be helpful.

Richard.

Thanks for your time,
To be a bit more specific, my budget for a computer is around the 500-600 dollar mark. Also I am looking to become a tech diver in the next 1-2 years.
For tech dives I use V-Planner to cut custom tables for the dive in question, and put my Cobra in gauge mode. I do use a HelO2 as a backup, but that's a bit outside your proposed budget.
Which brings up another point... if you are really interested in tech diving I recommend you save your 500-600 dollars for equipment other than an underwater dive computer, which is at best a backup device to a real tech dive plan.
><>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom